MedGlobal is a global and health humanitarian organization that builds resilience in fragile states and vulnerable communities through emergency response, health services delivery, and sustainable programming. MedGlobal’s vision is to create a world without healthcare disparity.
The Country Director will be responsible for overseeing the timely and efficient projects planning and implementation in Sudan. S/he is responsible for operational reporting issues to ensure adherence to all project objectives, performance requirements, and donor regulations. The Country Director has overall responsibility for leading and managing MedGlobal strategy in Sudan. S/he in this role will be responsible for developing the capacity of staff through training to ensure that risk management protocols and procedures are known, understood, and followed.
The Country Director will actively seek opportunities for fund development and representation among key networks in Sudan to ensure the sustainability of the program and broaden the thematic focus of the country program.
- Provides strategic oversight and ensures excellence for a healthy growing operational portfolio with program quality in and Sudan.
- Coordinate with appropriate national and local-level stakeholders: government, NGOs, HoDs, multilateral organizations, the private sector, and research organization; and work to identify and engage stakeholders not currently involved in MedGlobal Programming. Develop quarterly work plans per stakeholder, and report on weekly targets.
- Conduct bi weekly meetings with the Programs Director and Executive Director to provide program status updates.
- Ensure that country strategies and plans are developed and aligned with global MedGlobal priorities and initiatives.
- Provide policy, resources and legal guidance to HQ for quality management of programs.
- Build strong partnerships with local and international non governmental organizations in Sudan.
- Ensures the overall enterprise risks of the programs in Sudan operations are addressed, revised and managed proficiently.
- Develop contingency plans and exit strategy to cater for upcoming risks and future developments.
- Work closely with the team to develop needs and risk assessment, program expansion plan and complete detailed planning, assessments as per the need.
- Drives and ensures the adaption, integration, and learning around key areas.
- Develop a detailed MedGlobal country compliance table and provide relevant supporting documents for each compliance area.
- Develop Projects risk management matrix exercise and devise strategy to achieve set objectives carefully negotiating risks
- Oversee the projects implementation process at tactical level including support mechanism and get the team prepared for unforeseen eventualities.
- Effectively manage and lead the field team to deliver multiple donor programmes that cover a combination of Humanitarian and Development interventions.
- Effectively lead the various stages of project implementation and set direction by prioritizing and organizing activities and resources to achieve project objectives.
- Ensure that each project have workplans and M&E plan in place to ensure effective programme delivery.
- Establish an effective monitoring system to ensure projects are delivered and impact and learning is recorded.
- Attend Health and Nutrition clusters in Sudan and any other coordination meeting that help toward networking and expand funding sources.
- Conduct periodic field visits to validate progress reports, identify problems and issues to address during the projects implementation and make recommendations for improvement.
- Ensure that contractual obligations are met in terms of project deliverables.
Human Resource and Administration
- Participating/overseeing the recruitment process of national staff in Sudan.
- Interpreting, developing and applying MedGlobal HR policies and terms and conditions, national employment law, consistently and effectively.
- Mentors staff to achieve performance metrics and core outcomes and oversees the establishment and functioning of a strong, effective senior management/leadership team.
- Complete, oversee and implement all post-registration requirements and legal forms.
Finance Management and Legal
- Manage program budgets, monitoring, learning and reporting in line with MedGlobal and donor requirements.
- Assessing and responding as necessary to changes in the external environment ensuring these changes are reflected in the country strategy and project plans.
- Overseeing the timely and efficient planning and implementation of procurement and supply of items in line with project needs.
- Oversee MedGlobal Sudan banks, government forms related to tax authority or any legal authority.
- Maintain efficient financial controls, accountability standards, procedures and records.
- Working closely with the Field Site Manager and Headquarter team in writing proposals and applying funding.
- Provide detailed program development and fundraising plan (quarterly and yearly with targets) and set weekly plans and activities, including coordination and fundraising plans (quantitative targets and reporting structure)
- Increase income and revenue through innovative resource mobilization efforts focusing on institutional grants, corporate and individual donors – both locally and internationally
- Engage with key donors and stakeholders to receive funding prior to expiration of the contract
- Engage with Govt agencies, INGOs, NGOs, UN and embassies in Sudan to identify strategic partnerships and funding
Communication and Advocacy
- Lead MedGlobal’s advocacy and media efforts in Sudan in close cooperation with the Communication and Advocacy Director
- Represent MedGlobal to all stakeholders and government official on MegGlobal current and future work (present detailed representation and promotion of MedGlobal work targets per quarter and provide weekly reporting)
- Work with senior leadership to develop MedGlobal’s presence in Sudan.
- Host and lead media and donor visits effectively to contribute to strategic planning.
Safety & Security
- Monitor safety and security risks, identifies and executes risk mitigation actions and works closely with the Headquarters to assure an immediate and adequate response to safety and security issues.
- BA degree in international development or any related field of community development.
- At least 6 years of program design and management experience, including institutional donor grants and budget management
- legally entitled to work in Sudan
- At least 5 years of international humanitarian projects experience, including previous experiences as Country Director, or Deputy Country Director, or Head of Program with INGOs in similar context.
- Strong diplomatic, negotiation, and leadership skills
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
- Familiarity with the Sudan context is required and necessary
- Experience with personnel management including supervision and training
- Experiencing project proposals, budgeting methods, report writing and generation
- Experience with computer systems and related software applications
- Willingness to work in a low-resource setting with potential security risks.
- Excellent attention to detail and strong organizational and project coordination skills
- Strong ability to analyze and understand complex situations and translate these into specific policy advice.
- Ability to make good judgment on staff safety and provide appropriate advice
- An extensive network of contacts in Sudan local authorities, UN agencies, INGOs, NGOs