Specialist, Communications & Visual Marketing/Graphics
- Job posted by Greater Jamaica Development Corporation
Details: Salary commensurate with experience
90-04 161 Street
We’re hiring! Greater Jamaica Development Corporation (GJDC) may be looking for you, an associate of the highest caliber, to join our team.
Who We Are
GJDC is a community-building organization that plans, promotes coordinates and advances responsible development to revitalize Jamaica and strengthen the region.
We are at the forefront of the revitalization of Downtown Jamaica, Queens – laying the groundwork for more jobs, increased economic opportunity, and a better quality of life for the people who live and work here. We take on real estate initiatives that lead the market. And when there is a major infrastructure project in the works, we are at the table – either as a planner, advisor or project manager. Working closely with government and business, GJDC is changing the landscape and perception of Jamaica.
Just over the last few years our projects have transformed the area around the Jamaica LIRR Station, paved the way for over a thousand affordable housing units, sparked construction of hundreds of hotel rooms and enabled a myriad of small businesses to obtain loans.
Who We Are Looking For
If you are the perfect candidate to join our team:
- You have a degree in creative writing, communications, journalism, marketing, and/or a related field with at least 3 years of writing experience in a professional setting - Ideally, you’ve worked on scrappy marketing campaigns or on small teams where you’ve had to wear many hats. Even better if you also have training in or know your way around graphic design tools and can help design materials!
- You are a natural storyteller with impeccable copywriting skills - You’ll be editing research documents and writing speeches one minute, and crafting fun Twitter copy and snazzy subject lines the next, often without much time to plan. You are exceptional at both writing and editing.
- You are a stickler for the appropriate use of white space in a presentation - You understand fundamental design principles and have a modern aesthetic eye with the ability to help craft beautiful, effective, and immersive experiences across print, web, mobile, email, and social media.
- You embrace technology - You are up-to-date with industry leading software and technologies (Adobe Creative Suite; basic HTML/CSS; website CMS, preferably WordPress; Canva; Microsoft Suite, especially PowerPoint; etc).
- You are data-driven - You are able to collect, evaluate, and utilize qualitative/quantitative data in meaningful ways using website and social media analytics tools to report on website and social media metrics (e.g. Google Analytics / Adwords; Google Tag Manager; Facebook Insights, etc.).
- You have a ferocious dislike of inefficient communication - You cringe at the thought of siloed information flows, run-on sentences, or too many emails about the same exact thing.
- You flourish in innovative environments - You are comfortable with the ambiguity that can come with a dynamic and progressive workplace. You think independently, solve problems, organize tasks and efficiently handle multiple assignments at once with little supervision.
- You have a strong desire to make a BIG, measurable difference - We’re driven by the transformative changes happening in Jamaica, Queens. To work here, you need to be passionate about helping to make it happen.
What Your Contribution and Impact Will Be
Reporting directly to the Chief of Staff you will be part of our Communications team and essential in:
Producing written content across internal and external platforms
- Write compelling and uniform copy that will resonate and grab the attention of various audiences through corporate communications, email newsletters, social media, research reports, presentations, speeches, signage, and other PR/marketing materials;
- Collaborate across departments to rework existing brand copy and expand on content, voice, and tone guidelines.
- Take complex ideas and make them accessible and easily understandable, through short/punchy lines and soundbites.
- Build, refine, write, and disseminate key messaging and talking points, and serve as preliminary editor for all GJDC written materials across departments.
Shaping and implementing GJDC’s visual presence across a range of formats
- Craft and design cohesive and impactful marketing materials and presentation decks to tell a great story through bold photos, infographics, and more using our branding and voice.
- Assess, make recommendations for, implement, and maintain the development of website to optimize user experience and engagement.
- Create, organize, and maintain robust digital asset library (including photos and video), either through personal skills or the effective sourcing and management of outside contractors.
- Manage production of marketing materials, including negotiations and contracting with production vendors.
Being the guardian of GJDC’s brand
- Own and further develop the GJDC brand and champion its proper usage and expansion.
- Assist in training staff and volunteers to serve as brand ambassadors and representatives by providing resources and tools.
Analyzing the effectiveness of our communications
- Build and refine goal-driven strategies by regularly evaluating metrics, SEO, and outcomes through the use of digital analytics.
- Employ digital analytics, A/B testing, focus groups, market surveys, field research and other tactics to track and prove effectiveness of work and strategies.
- Review website, analyze traffic and evaluate and recommend future enhancements to improve usability, SEO and page traffic.
Creating a vision of GJDC’s story and helping develop creative strategies
- Recommend creative strategy and content roadmap for a variety of platforms aligned to key objectives and audience interests.
- Help manage all of GJDC’s digital channels including website, email marketing, social media platforms, and third-party integrations.
- Work collaboratively across departments to manage and deliver an effective content marketing editorial calendar and process, including long-term planning.
- Other tasks and special projects as assigned.
If successful, your impact will bring the GJDC story to life in a clear and compelling way to deepen engagement, increase our visibility, and drive GJDC’s growth. Communications isn’t a support function— it’s as integral as everything else we do.
Benefits of Working Here
Learn first-hand the inner workings of an industry regarded economic development organization, with a highly respected team of professionals
Meaningful work at an organization that is at the forefront of major economic development projects within the City of New York, helping to coordinate over $160 million of State and City investments and millions in additional private investments
Additionally, we are an equal opportunity employer currently offering the following added perks:
- Generous paid time off package (including vacation, sick, and holidays)
- Subsidized major medical health plan + dental / vision plan
- 403b retirement savings plan (with employer contribution)
- Commuter benefits / subsidized parking
- Flexible spending and dependent care accounts
- Tuition reimbursement
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to Apply
If you know you are the right candidate for this position, you should send the following four pieces to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Communications Associate":
- Your resume
- Your cover letter with salary requirements
- Up to three work product samples. We love that you spent grueling hours perfecting your hundred-page thesis, but please no academic papers. Show off your digital storytelling savvy with a mix of topics and audiences!
- One example of what you believe is a visually compelling marketing campaign. It could be one you worked on, or from a company you admire!
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the search process concludes. Recommendations of potential candidates are welcome. All recommendations, applications, and inquiries will be kept confidential.