Details: We offer competitive compensation package commensurate with experience.
About Citizen Engagement Lab (CEL) Education Fund:
Since 2008, CELEF has provided nonprofit infrastructure and incubation support to projects and social justice leaders who use media and technology to amplify progressive solutions. Through comprehensive strategy support, organizational development, acceleration services, and other critical elements, CEL has invested in building 21st Century organizing institutions. We’ve helped dozens of social entrepreneurs – most of them women and people of color – turn their ideas into impactful organizations and initiatives.
CELEF seeks a Staff Accountant to provide finance support to the Chief Financial Officer. The ideal candidate has finance experience in a nonprofit setting, high attention to detail, and a passion for social justice and equity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide support to the Chief Financial Officer with general finance administration, including budget development, cash flow reporting, cost/benefit analysis, grant budgets and financial reports, and financial reports such as income statements and balance sheets.
- Provide support to the Chief Financial Officer in preparing for independent audits, gathering required information for tax returns, and communicating with auditors.
- Review incoming correspondence related to Human Resources and Finance; handle routine correspondence as appropriate; bring correspondence to the attention of the Chief Financial Officer when special handling is required; prepare outgoing correspondence upon request.
- Maintain all filing systems related to financial records, both physical and electronic.
- Process bills, invoices, reimbursements, and other requests for payment. Ensure that payment requests have proper supporting documentation and approval, in accordance with internal policy.
- Review bills and invoices to ensure that charges conform to expectations; bring any charges that appear to be excessive, inconsistent with vendor agreements, or mistakenly calculated to the attention of the Chief Financial Officer.
- Work with staff and outside vendors to resolve inconsistencies or errors.
- Communicate and train staff members in the administration of Nexonia and other future accounting related software.
- Track all income earned from grant awards, sub-leases, and other sources.
- Assign accounting codes to incoming funds based on a consistent rule set established by the Chief Financial Officer.
- Track any restrictions on grant awards and donation; work with Chief Financial Officer to implement restriction-tracking systems.
- Ensure that incoming funds are properly recorded in the finance record.
- Take primary responsibility for payroll processing and recording
- Review timesheet information to ensure accuracy
- Enter information into payroll processor systems and internal racking spreadsheets
- Review payroll withholding, both federal and state; ensure taxes are properly filed and paid by payroll processor
- Oversee all other payroll related tasks as necessary
- Serve as the primary point of contact for independent contractors regarding financial issues, such as the payment of invoices and contract terms.
- Ensure that contracts are up-to-date and comply with all relevant laws and internal policies; ensure that W-9 forms are completed when required.
- Maintain contractor files; ensure that required tax paperwork is completed; prepares annual 1099 forms.
· Bachelor’s Degree
· Minimum of 4 years of accounting experience
· Non-Profit experience is required
· Demonstrate attention to detail, have the ability to work independently, problem solver, and demonstrate initiative.
Position requires working on a computer for extended periods of time ~8 hours/ day
CEL is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Women, people of color, and/or LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
CEL provides a full benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement, life insurance, commuter benefits, and sick and vacation leave.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit cover letter, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Staff Accountant” in the subject line. The position is open until filled, but first consideration will be given to applications received by June 29, 2018.