Reporting to the Executive Director, the Deputy Director (DD) is a new and mission-critical leadership position for the Parent Encouragement Program (PEP), focused on strategy, marketing, fundraising and IT/platform infrastructure, to support PEP’s growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s programs and services. The DD will work closely with the Executive Director and other organizational leaders in a collaborative environment to accomplish the goals of this new position.
The DD’s primary duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Organizational Growth and Administration (15%):
- In collaboration with the executive director, develop and implement a strategic marketing and communications plan that seamlessly integrates development, marketing, sales, and program messaging to increase PEP’s visibility to external audiences; reach new and diverse audiences; grow PEP’s effectiveness and influence; and enhance understanding of and financial support for the organization’s work. This plan includes strategies for public relations, media relations, annual giving, digital communications, platform integration, key messaging, storytelling, and brand experience.
- Create the annual department budgets for development, marketing, and IT platforms, and assume responsibility for its administration.
- Develop and maintain fundraising, marketing and web site metrics, which measure advancement towards goals as outlined in the annual budget and strategic plans. Prepare reports for board meetings (every other month).
- Ensure that marketing and development operations are utilizing functions available through Salesforce database and Teachable online course platform to automate and maximize processes and opportunities.
- Supervise, mentor, and manage the Development & Marketing Coordinator and marketing and platform consultants.
Marketing and Communications (35%):
- Manage the marketing and communications plan including branding, social media, advertising, collateral materials, sponsorship, and other areas as assigned. Responsible for written communications and distribution across multiple platforms.
- Oversee strategy and implementation of email marketing that drives program enrollment and fundraising.
- Plan and execute social media campaigns and advertising buys. Ensure consistency of key messages and brand identity.
- Ensure that branding and copy across all marketing channels are consistent and in alignment with overall marketing objectives.
- Monitor marketing trends and content relevant to PEP’s mission, and translate information into compelling, actionable and effective strategies and stories.
- Plan and execute an institutional giving plan including prepare and submit letters of inquiry, proposals and reports for grants and other funding opportunities. Develop and monitor grants calendar to ensure that deadlines are met.
- Identify and pursue corporate sponsorships, in partnership with the Director of Business Development and Executive Director.
- Oversee and execute PEP’s annual giving campaign.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to build on and support the organization’s major gifts campaign.
- Organize a year-round communications plan for donors, including a limited number of donor events.
Website and Platform Management (15%)
- Oversee PEP’s online course, marketing, website, and data management platforms, working with platform consultants and contractual support.
- Lead team to oversee development of new or updated web site (design and content) and manage transition to a new platform for online learning.
- Suggest and oversee ongoing changes and updates to platforms made by platform and other consultants.
- At least 15 years of professional experience in marketing, development and/or communications, including 5 years of nonprofit experience and prior experience in a supervisory, leadership or management role.
- Strong technical, computer and software skills, including experience with Salesforce (or a similar database) and digital platforms. Direct experience with Teachable, SalesForce, and/or WordPress a plus.
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong organizational skills, including financial oversight and planning capability, and ability to troubleshoot, multitask and manage several projects at once.
- Commitment to building and maintaining a strong, diverse, inclusive, and collaborative team culture, and listening to and elevating staff voices internally and externally.
- Interest in working in a dynamic, growing, fast-paced environment with a strong commitment to PEP’s mission and a sense of humor are a plus.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced/MBA degree preferred.
This is a full-time position with the possibility for flexible hours and a hybrid work model. Occasional evenings and weekends required.