Details: Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has.
Public Interest Network Grants Department Administrator
The Public Interest Network operates more than 15 organizations -- including U.S. PIRG, Environment America, Green Corps, and the National Environmental Law Center -- that are committed to a cutting-edge vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to change. We’re transpartisan. We value dialogue over polarization. We invest in people and strategies that deliver results, including advocacy, lobbying, campaigning, litigation, policy research and grassroots organizing. And over the past 45 years, our coordinated approach has won hundreds of victories.
We focus on tackling some of the big questions facing our country - how to make sure the next generation has clean air, clean water and a livable climate; how to transform our energy and transportation systems to meet the needs of today, not the last century; how to grow and raise our food in ways that leave both people and our environment healthier, and more. If our approach to change and the issues we work on sound exciting to you, apply to join our team.
In order to achieve these results, the groups in The Public Interest Network need a strong backup staff to provide the resources, guidance, and infrastructure it takes to make progress on these issues, which is where the Grants Administrator comes in.
The Grants Department Administrator will have a key role in our efforts to double our grant and large donor fundraising over the next five years. This additional funding will enable the Public Interest Network to make an even bigger impact on some of the most important problems of our time, as well as recruit and train hundreds more new activists who will work for change for years to come.
Specifically, the Administrator's responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Researching and identifying foundation and donor prospects;
- Writing grant proposals and budgets, and promoting the network organizations’ campaigns through written updates and other affinity building activities;
- Working with grantseekers around the country by editing grant proposals and updates, acting as a general clearinghouse for advice and information on funding strategy and the funding community;
- Managing and maintaining a database that records Public Interest Network grantseeking activity and information about funder prospects, and generating reports on progress towards network grantseeking goals;
- Ensuring we meet all grant reporting deadlines;
- Building the movement by recruiting staff for the network’s organizations, and supporting priority network programs and projects -- from training new staff to phone banking to helping with events.
A key part of the Public Interest Network’s mission is to train leaders who are capable of organizing and winning results for the public interest. The Grants Administrator will receive hands-on training throughout the year from grants department staff as well as participate in a classroom training program to develop the knowledge and skills he/she needs to run a variety of Public Interest Network campaigns in the community.
Los Angeles, CA
We are looking for candidates with a demonstrated commitment to social change and an appreciation of the importance of organizing. We’re also looking for candidates that are more motivated by the success of the movement than by individual achievement. The Grants Department Administrator must have exceptional writing skills, with the ability to translate complex campaigns and programs into targeted fundraising requests; and be detail oriented, deadline driven, highly-organized, and have excellent project management and computer skills
Additionally, top candidates will:
- Have a bachelor’s degree and at least one year of relevant experience, but strong entry level candidates will be considered. Experience in fundraising and/or with an advocacy organization or on political campaigns also is preferred;
- Have a track record of academic success and proven leadership ability;
- Be flexible, embrace new challenges, and have a strong work ethic;
- Able to give clear direction and feedback to others, and hold their peers accountable to shared goals
- Have demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in solving problems;
- Be able to work independently and creatively, as well as take direction and work as part of a team.
The Grants Department Administrator position requires a two-year commitment.
Compensation & Benefits
Target annual compensation for this position is commensurate with the relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees that a candidate has. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package including paid holidays, sick days, and vacation days. Eligible staff may join our group health insurance plan and will have the opportunity to enroll in our student loan assistance and 401(k) programs.
Visit this page and fill out the online form. If we are interested in interviewing you for the position, we will get back to you within a week. Note: all finalists also will be required to complete a writing and editing test.
Things to Know Before You Apply
The Public Interest Network is home to 16-plus organizations that share a vision of a better country, a set of core values about our work and a coordinated strategic approach to getting things done. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
The Public Interest Network is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, disability, pregnancy, or veteran status.
The Public Interest Network will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package including paid holidays, sick days, and vacation days. Eligible staff may join our group health insurance plan and will have the opportunity to enroll in our student loan assistance and 401(k) programs.
Minimum Education Required