Temp Bilingual (English/Spanish) Community Engagement Coordinator
- Job posted by Make the Road New York
Details: Compensation and Benefits: Competitive annual salary based on a democratically designed salary scale, depending on relevant work experience, education, and other factors.
Make the Road New York
301 Grove Street
Make the Road New York (www.maketheroadny.org) is a non-profit organization that builds the power of Latino and working class communities to achieve dignity and justice through organizing, policy innovation, transformative education, and survival services. We have 23,000 members and operate five community centers in Bushwick, Brooklyn; Jackson Heights, Queens; Port Richmond, Staten Island; Brentwood, Long Island and White Plains, NY.
Make the Road New York's Youth Power Project reaches working class youth of color and supports them in becoming effective thinkers, leaders and decision-makers. Our grassroots campaigns give young people—many of whom feel powerless and alienated—a voice in policies that affect them. Our programs provide academic and emotional support, cultivate creativity and critical thinking skills, and helps students seize educational opportunities. Make the Road New York is the lead partner to the four high schools on Bushwick Campus Community School, as part of the Mayor’s Initiative to create over 200 community schools. Our School Based Team, part of our Youth Power Project, works inside the campus supporting all four schools. A community school is a hub of resources, programs, and services that contribute to meeting the needs and building on the strengths of the whole student, family and broader community. It supports culture of community where trust and accountability among all stakeholders are nurtured and strengthened.
Make the Road New York (MRNY) is seeking a full time Community Engagement Coordinator to be a part of our School Based Team at Bushwick Campus. Applicants must be able to communicate in English and Spanish and be available to work occasional evenings and weekends.
- Support community asset mapping and needs assessment with input from all stakeholders
- Develop strong relationships with teachers, parents, students and community
- Work with the Parent Coordinators to ensure that families have meaningful opportunities to participate in the school.
- Conduct home visits to engage families and support struggling students
- Serve as a mentor to struggling students
- Co-supervise and support a youth leadership body of 8 students
- Coordinate community and school-wide events
- Facilitate the Community School Plan at all levels - promote collective vision, increase community engagement and family and community participation in services, foster student leadership
- Conduct outreach and facilitate referral process to resources for students and families
- Work closely with Community School Director to coordinate services and programs
- Develop relationships with neighborhood middle schools to increase enrollment at Bushwick Campus
- Responsible for administrative support and data entry
- Lead communication and public education about Community Schools
- Facilitate partner development and coordination
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with school staff to support a team approach and integrate support for struggling students into the community school model
- Volunteer coordination and placement
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Experience working in school based settings, with knowledge of youth development theories
- Commitment to social justice and knowledge of community organizations
- Strong outreach, interpersonal, writing, and communication skills;
- Strong ability to work with a team as well as independently;
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with a variety of stakeholders including youth, educators, families and communities from a wide range of cultural, social and economic backgrounds
- Ability to communicate in English and Spanish
MRNY offers a generous benefit package including health insurance and 401K
Level of Language Proficiency
Writing, reading and speaking Spanish is a must
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should email cover letters and resumes to email@example.com
MRNY is an equal opportunity employer. Women, LGBTQ, and people of color strongly encouraged to apply.