4101 Connecticut Ave NW
The Assistant Director of Development, Annual Fund reports to the Director of Development and Alumni Relations. This position supports all areas of the Development Office, as instructed by the Director of Development and Alumni Relations, with a specific emphasis on the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual donors through the Burke Annual Fund. In 2018-19, Burke will be celebrating our 50th Anniversary.
This is a full-time, year-round position, which is annually contracted from July 1–June 30.
PRIMARY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Responsible for raising $400,000 in gross revenue for the Annual Fund.
- Conceptualizes and executes an Annual Fund plan to maximize income from a variety of constituents -- parents, alumni, past parents, grandparents, faculty, staff, trustees and other friends of the school -- utilizing a variety of techniques, including direct mail, email, phonathon, proposal writing, face-to-face solicitations, matching gifts, and third-party giving.
- Works with the Director of Development to identify, solicit and track the cultivation and stewardship of major donor prospects. Coordinates with Campaign staff and volunteers in support of a Comprehensive Campaign, inclusive of the Annual Fund.
- Creates a yearly Annual Fund theme, multi-media communications plan, and support materials as needed, in coordination with the Communications and Marketing team.
- Responsible for creating a robust volunteer team in support of the Annual Fund by recruiting, training, managing and cultivating parent and alumni volunteers.
- Coordinates with colleagues to engage and cultivate prospects, steward donors and build a culture of giving through various communications, materials, events and gift acknowledgements.
- Coordinates with the Assistant Director of Development, Advancement Services to ensure the data integrity of gift information and other biographical and relational data in Burke’s development database, Raiser’s Edge. Runs reports and analyzes data to inform Annual Fund and major donor approaches and strategies.
- Synthesizes information from a variety of sources to develop comprehensive prospect research reports, as needed for staff and volunteers throughout the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship cycle.
- Serves as a member of the Internal Alumni Taskforce, responsible for executing alumni giving programs.
- Supports other Development Office initiatives and events, including but not limited to the annual auction, 50th Anniversary celebration activities and events, alumni relations activities and events, and major donor and campaign activities, as needed and assigned.
- BA required; MA preferred
- 3-5 years of fundraising experience, preferably in an independent school environment
Skills and Abilities:
The Assistant Director of Development, Annual Fund must be goal-oriented, able to meet deadlines, communicate well (both written and oral), possess strategic thinking and detail-oriented skills, and have the ability to work well independently and as part of a team. A successful candidate must have previous experience with direct mail, email and phonathon solicitations. The Assistant Director of Development, Annual Fund must have excellent computer skills, with strong proficiency in Google Drive, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and other office products. Finally, a candidate must have substantial experience with a development Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) database; experience with the Blackbaud’s Raiser’s Edge CRM is strongly desired. Experience with a data mining software desirable; experience with Blackbaud’s ResearchPoint preferred. Must be able to attend weekend and evening activities, as necessary.
Minimum Education Required