1 Burnside Street
The Head of Communications & Development plans, directs, and coordinates all communications and development activities by performing the following duties personally or in collaboration with other internal or external resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Development: This individual will be responsible for the duties involving communication, promotion, and administration of all development activities of the museum, including individual giving, corporate and foundation support, fundraising events, and grants including…
- Facilitating, with assistance from the Executive Director, development and implementation of an annual development strategy to achieve associated financial goals through activities such as:
- Special events
- Individual giving programs (i.e. Annual Fund)
- Corporate and foundation giving/sponsorship
- Regularly updating donor database and manage reporting
- Conducting prospect research for new funding opportunities
- Maintaining grant calendar of upcoming application and reporting deadlines
- Compiling necessary materials for grants and writing narratives in collaboration with the Executive Director
- Monitoring and tracking the organization's grant-funded projects and reporting on budgets and progress towards program metrics with assistance from the Executive Director
Marketing/Communications: This individual will also be responsible for updating and maintaining the museum’s website, social media communication, and newsletters. In collaboration with the museum’s graphic designer, design and produce brochures, advertisements, posters, and any other materials related to the marketing of exhibits, programs and events including…
- Overseeing the development and execution of the overall strategic marketing plan
- Managing website content and making necessary updates regularly
- Composing and sending out a monthly newsletter
- Maintaining an active social networking presence
- Overseeing the design and dissemination of all development materials, including fundraising event invitations, semi-annual appeals, membership drives and membership society events
- Maintaining photo, video, and print archive
- Creating and maintaining a comprehensive press list
- Increasing awareness of the organization and all activities through effective, creative, and professional marketing and public relations initiatives
- Establishing and maintaining partnerships with community organizations and businesses to support the museum’s mission
- Assisting with general office staffing and office duties, such as receiving visitors, answering phone calls and event management
A Bachelor's Degree and 2-5 years of experience in marketing, event management, and/or
fundraising is required. Preference will be given to candidates with a long-term interest in fundraising, marketing, museums and/or non-profit management. The Head of Communications & Development must be an exceptionally organized, detail-oriented self-starter who is personable and has outstanding written and verbal communication skills. He or she must have the ability to multi-task and adjust to seasonal or event-related fluctuations in workload. Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet and presentation graphics applications (i.e. Word, Excel & Powerpoint) is required. Knowledge of DonorPerfect or other donor database is a plus.
While training and management support will be provided, the Head of Communications & Development must possess the ability to work autonomously and with limited direction. He or she must have an ability and willingness to interact with the public and must also have the ability to lift boxes, tables and chairs that can weigh 25-30 lbs. Like all our employees, the Head of Development & Marketing is expected to contribute to a culture based upon respect, teamwork, collaboration, creative problem solving and fun.
Reporting & Other Details
The Head of Communications & Development reports to the Executive Director. This is a full-time salaried position (40 hours per week) that requires periodic evening and weekend work. Other responsibilities may be required by the Board of Directors or Executive Director to fulfill the mission and goals of our organization.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Email resume & cover letter, and please include "Head of Communication & Development" in the subject line.