Details: Pay commensurate with experience.
Our Vision, Mission & Growth
At The Common Market, we envision a nation composed of vibrant regional food systems- where interdependent urban and rural communities thrive through relationships that build the health and wealth of all people. Our mission is to strengthen regional farms while making the local bounty accessible to communities and the institutions that serve them. We strive to improve food security, farm viability, and community and ecological health.
With locations currently serving New York City, Greater Philadelphia, Baltimore, Greater Washington, DC and the Greater Atlanta regions, we launched our third location serving the Greater Houston region.
The Common Market Texas launched in early 2018 from Houston, Texas and we seek an Operations Coordinator. We are looking for an individual who is highly motivated, results-driven and passionate about sustainable food. Through this role, you will understand how our operation works in its entirety from Sales, Procurement, and Warehousing. It's an opportunity to learn how all of the pieces come together in a model food hub and social enterprise. There is real opportunity for growth within the position and within our organization.
This is a position at a new location for the organization, meaning this position will play a key role in laying a strong foundation for a rapidly growing, results-driven social enterprise. We are looking for an individual who is knowledgeable in supply chain management, connected to the agriculture industry in Texas, highly motivated, and passionate about sustainable food. This position demands an individual who is a systems thinker and possesses the professionalism to organize and negotiate terms with vendors, build sales with customers, and accurately track inventory and pack wholesale orders. Success in this position requires an extremely organized individual who is able to work independently with a sense of urgency and great attention to detail- someone who has a positive attitude, is flexible, collaborative, and possesses excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
Due to the challenges of starting a new location, this job requires someone that is extremely flexible and willing to participate in duties outside of their regular responsibilities detailed below. This new employee must possess excellent communication and problem-solving skills, and a passion for local, sustainable agriculture.
· Works closely with the Texas Director and National Procurement Director to create and improve systems that drive our organization.
· The Common Market Texas is a 2018 USDA Local Foods Promotion Program awardee. This position will work closely with the Texas Director and National Procurement Director to build relationships with our project partners.
· Work with chefs and food service to grow sales of local food and build customer base. This will entail setting goals, creating a strategy for customer growth and retention, entering customer orders, and working directly with buyers to promote education and sales of local farm foods.
· Work with meat, eggs, dairy, seafood, vegetable, fruit and value-added producers. This will entail setting goals, ordering with farmers and producers daily, and creating a strategy to develop new relationships and products to meet customer demand.
· Warehouse duties such as packing customer orders, receiving shipments, loading trucks, and daily quality control checks.
· Learns the intricacies of maintaining the highest levels of food safety standards within our operations.
· Regularly evaluates and makes suggestions about how to improve/adapt to ensure a better customer experience, and more efficient operations.
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
· Knowledge of sustainable agriculture and local food systems preferred
· Preference for someone with experience in agriculture, purchasing, supply chain management and/or sales and outreach
· 2-4 years’ experience in an agriculture-related field
· Excellent Microsoft Office skills (Word and Excel)
· Experience and skilled in analyzing data using Excel
· Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
· Flexible work hours to accommodate some evening and weekend work
· Flexible work ethic to accommodate the challenges of a start-up location
· Ability to lift up to 50lbs
· 2 weeks annual PTO
· Monthly health insurance stipend
· Retirement plan
· Ongoing opportunities for professional development
Minimum Education Required