Role & Responsibilities
As a key part of the Global ITS Leadership team, this role will initially provide strategic leadership for the new Information Management Shared Service Centre (IM-SSC) providing services across all Medair’s country programs, and the new Applications Development Team which is responsible for research, design, develop and configure new tools for Medair globally. These two geographically disbursed teams are a major part of Medair’s Global ITS strategy, creating, implementing and supporting tools that will drive Medair into the future.
Global ITS provides Medair with centralised governance, strategy, direction, innovation and support in the use of the information technologies that amplify the people to people strategy. Global ITS provides a centralised approach to ensure cost efficiency and integration, including country programs in the strategic design of systems, & delivers services locally where practical to ensure that the day-to-day needs of our GSO & country program colleagues are met.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair Global ITS Team. Position can be located in Lausanne Switzerland or Nairobi Kenya. A valid work permit is required for any of those destinations. This is a Global Team position, with up to 12 weeks of travel to countries where Medair operates.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, minimum 12 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Lead two teams by providing guidance and timely feedback, and lead by example to demonstrate professionalism and accountability.
- Develop training and knowledge transfer plans so that members of the team can continue to grow in their roles and ensure proper coverage in case of staff absence or departure.
- Work within the ITS Leadership team to ensure that the ITS Strategy can be delivered including: development of a roadmap to upgrade and standardise the infrastructure across GSO and all country programs, outsourcing activities where appropriate to focus on activities that are unique and cost-effective for Medair to maintain; and development of the overall Enterprise Architecture, ensuring coherence and consistency of the data model across all the solutions.
Applications and Information Management Strategy
- Ensure that the ITS Applications / IM Strategy can be delivered to support the overall strategy of Medair.
- Development of a roadmap to upgrade and standardise the Applications / IM infrastructure all across country programs, outsourcing activities to focus on activities that are unique and cost-effective for Medair to maintain.
- Evaluate existing applications to approve technical changes, schedule projects, resources, and monitors project timelines. Oversee feasibility researches, estimates project timeline and costs.
- Ensure project milestones and goals are met and adhered to.
Shared Service Centre
- Determine a partial cost-recovery structure. Ensure service agreements are set up for cost-recovery from client country programs and external clients.
- Liaise with the infrastructure team to ensure the architecture supports the services and safeguards IM assets by implementing disaster recovery, back-up procedures, information security & control structures.
- Accomplish financial objectives by determining service level required; preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective action.
- Review new IM change proposals and provides specialist advice on information management.
- Ensure an inventory of information assets, which are subject to relevant legislation.
- Ensure the development of policy, standards and procedures for compliance with relevant legislation.
- Manage the relationships with vendors including Qlik, Ona, SurveyCTO, ESRI.
- Represent Medair at relevant conferences, coordination meetings, and donor presentations to showcase best practices and innovations in Information Management and learn from peer agencies.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- Degree in Informatics, Computer Science, Information Systems or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- ITIL experience or certification/ experience with implementation of major ERPs – Microsoft Dynamics preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). French desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- 3+ years leading an IT Application Support and/or Development team. 5+ IT Project Management experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in applications development, information management, business intelligence.
- Vendor Management. Experience in database administration.
- Experience operating in hybrid environments including in-house, outsourced operations and use of cloud-based services. Experience in database management and mobile technologies.
- Experience in setting up and supporting infrastructure in international NGOs operating desirable.
- Experience working in the field in the Humanitarian Sector – Medair experience preferred.
- Experience working with remote geographically disbursed teams preferred.
- Solid understanding of software design principles, data model creation, and a good understanding of current programming languages is desirable.
- Solid understanding and experience with virtualization, operating systems, local and wide area networking, response and recovery, data protection and retention.
- Strong planning and analytical skills. Experience with Cloud, SaaS and hybrid technologies.
- Demonstrated continuous improvement and project delivery skills.