Details: Salary will be commensurate with experience.
About Digital Promise
Digital Promise is an independent, bipartisan 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization authorized by Congress to spur innovation in education for all levels of learners. Positioned at the intersection of educators, entrepreneurs, and researchers, Digital Promise identifies, develops, and promotes strategies to improve all levels of education and provide Americans with the knowledge and skills needed to compete in the global economy. Digital Promise is a fast-paced, growing, entrepreneurial organization that values and rewards performance, collaboration, and innovation.
About the Position
Digital Promise, with the support of the Hewlett Foundation, is launching a new project to research and develop open educational resources that support deeper learning in middle school science.
The Project Director will facilitate, coordinate, and support 18 middle grades science teachers across 3 districts to collaboratively develop, pilot, and revise 8 to 12 Challenge Based Learning projects that will be published and broadly shared. The person in this role will also coordinate efforts with Digital Promise researchers to ensure that teachers and schools have access to data and tools that support continuous improvement and appropriate curriculum development decisions.
Project Goals include:
- Develop 8-12 exemplar units that incorporate OER and Deeper Learning.
- Units will address middle school Next Generation Science Standards through a focus on United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
- Identify insights into the enabling factors of, and barriers to incorporating OER into standards-aligned authentic learning activities.
- Develop tools and processes for measuring deeper learning skills in the teaching of the Next Generation Science Standards.
- Demonstrate that teachers working with a coach, curriculum designer, and researcher can co-create OER-based units that increase students’ development of deeper learning skills (critical thinking, problem solving, collaboration, communication, academic mindsets and self-directed learning).
- Oversee the project, with support from Chief Learning Officer; key responsibilities are to support teachers in their learning and curriculum development as well as coordinate the work of researchers; specific duties include:
- Support educators with classroom coaching
- Facilitate engagement with project researchers
- Support educators in their collaboration with peers
- Ensure that the curricular units, and associated teacher supports, are designed to support academic success among the diversity of students.
- Arrange and facilitate workshops of practitioners and researchers
- Lead the curation of OER science materials for teacher unit development
- Oversee the publication of the curricular units as creative commons materials
- Manage project budget
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Business, Education Technology, Learning Science, or a related field required. Master’s degree in a related field preferred
- 7+ years of experience in education, entrepreneurship, and/or a related field. Experience in science education
- Experience in curriculum development
- Experience in coaching teachers preferred
- Significant project management and leadership experience, working with multiple stakeholders to develop and meet ambitious milestones
- Experience managing high-value partnerships
- A strong commitment to improving education for K-12 learners in U.S. public schools, particularly for student populations who have been historically underserved
- Experience collaborating with cross-functional team members to ensure information is shared, projects are completed on time, and goals are reached
- Stellar organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and manage competing tasks, deadlines, requirements, and decisions
- Ability to travel as required to district sites and national conferences
- A passion for education, a team mentality, creativity, and a positive “can-do” “yes-and” spirit
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply and submit your resume, cover letter and salary requirements. Applicants are encouraged to submit their materials as soon as possible. Review will be on a rolling basis until the search is successful.
Digital Promise is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.