Details: Salary negotiable and DOE
The ACLU of Arizona—a leader in the fight against mass incarceration, voter suppression, discrimination in public education, and threats to LGBTQ equality and immigrants’ rights—is seeking a full-time organizer to help build the ACLU of Arizona’s advocacy infrastructure and recruit, develop and mobilize volunteer leaders and activists who are committed to our aggressive multi-year #Demand2Learn campaign to eliminate student push-out while combating racial disparities in our education system. The #Demand2Learn organizer will play a central role in inspiring decision-makers to adopt policy changes to discriminatory policies and practices in our education system.
The ideal candidate has demonstrated excellent independent judgment, has strong interpersonal and communication skills and has a proven track record of recruiting and motivating others to invest their time into the ACLU of Arizona’s volunteer efforts. The Organizer will report to the #Demand2Learn Campaign Manager and work in the Phoenix office.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Identifying, supporting and cultivating leadership in volunteers who will lead our education equity initiatives.
· Recruiting and organizing people who work within the education system and have been impacted by the exclusionary practices in schools to work for changes in policies and practices.
· Speaking at events and to small groups on behalf of the ACLU of Arizona and D2L.
· Planning, conducting, and recruiting volunteers to participate in relevant trainings and programs that develop grassroots leadership and support our advocacy efforts.
· Supporting volunteer campaigns to contact local elected and appointed officials, and build support for campaign goals among community leaders.
· Completing and executing work plans.
· Managing simultaneous projects and shifting priorities.
· Advancing other ACLU of Arizona priorities through organizing.
QUALIFICATIONS: We’re seeking a candidate who is adept at mobilizing others for important social justice causes. While the qualifications below describe a typical candidate, strong consideration will be granted to individuals who may not meet the listed qualifications but demonstrate strong skills, knowledge, and organizing potential.
· Experience in community/field organizing and at least one year of experience working directly with volunteers strongly preferred.
· A history of successful collaboration with people from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds and a broad range of ages, ideological positions, and religious views.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills, strong trust building, diplomacy and problem-solving skills.
· Strong oral communications skills, familiarity and comfort interacting with members of the community and representing the ACLU in public. Fluency in Spanish is required.
· Superb organization skills; detail-oriented with strong follow-through and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
· Creative, results-oriented, self-starting, and eager to learn new skills.
· Attention to measurable goals and results.
· Ability to travel around the state as necessary and participate in evening and weekend meetings.
· Individuals with knowledge of current political alignments and opportunities for collaboration specifically in Arizona with a broad range of groups and familiarity with the advocacy and community organizing landscape around the state are strongly encouraged to apply.
· Knowledge of education policy issues impacting communities of color is a plus but not a requirement.
Compensation for this position is negotiable and depends on experience and is highly competitive. Benefits include generous vacation and sick leave; medical and dental insurance; life and long-term disability insurance; defined contribution plan with employer match; and 12 paid holidays. This is a one-year position with a potential to become permanent after 2019.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish is required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send a cover letter and resume with three professional references by email to firstname.lastname@example.org describing your interest in this position, and the ways in which you satisfy the qualifications specified above. Include “D2L Organizer” in the subject line of your email. When submitting your application, please be sure to submit both a cover letter (with a document name formatted as “Last name, First name- Cover Letter”) and your resume (with document name formatted as “Last name.First name-Resume”). Please also indicate in your cover letter where you heard of this career opportunity. No phone calls or walk-ins, please. Applications accepted until position is filled.
ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.