District of Columbia
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Constituency Communications Officer who will sit on the Constituency Communications team,
which is part of Planned Parenthood’s (PPFA) Communications and Culture Department that is
focused on engaging key communities PPFA serves via authentic and culturally competent
communication and media strategies. This person will support the Constituency Communications team in the execution of national media engagement opportunities for PPFA to better engage communities of color, particularly Black communities, as well as young people, LGBTQ people, and people of faith. This person will also execute communications plans, identify partnership opportunities, and support event execution. This position requires critical thinking around how external systems impact PPFA’s work through the lens of structural racism and intersections with reproductive health care and rights.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Draft press releases, statements, advisories, op-ed pieces, memos, briefings, message
- guidance, fact sheets, and other material that supports media relations efforts.
- Engage with media outlets that reach communities of color, young people, and LGBTQ
- people; pitch reporters to proactively promote PPFA initiatives; respond to inquiries from reporters.
- Identify journalists to connect more deeply with and actively work to foster and maintain relationships with key outlets.
- Participate fully in brainstorming and planning sessions on PPFA communications work.
- Identify and share innovative new ideas for promoting PPFA and its initiatives.
- Work in close partnership with affiliates to help them deepen their relationships with media targets and partners; serve as a resource to affiliate staff on media relations strategy development.
- Develop and execute local media strategies to raise awareness about Planned Parenthood's work in communities of color.
- Assist in monitoring or breaking news in the reproductive rights and justice movement, as well as human rights and social justice spaces.
- Lead drafting and shepherding of review of rapid response materials.
- Conduct research tasks on a variety of political and health subjects through a lens of people of color, young people, LGBTQ people, and people of faith to inform our messaging and strategy.
- Update press and media contact lists, circulate clips, distribute press releases, process pay orders and contracts; other administrative duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience.
- 2+ years experience working in a communications or media related field, preferably working directly with media outlets and reporters aimed at reaching communities of color.
- Experience working with communities of color.
- Excellent communication and writing skills as well as an ability to write and edit proficiently and quickly.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Understanding of structural racism.
- Knowledge of communicating with diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and exhibiting sensitivity and appreciation of cultural differences.
- Knowledge of key media targets and an understanding of news media.
- Team player with a sense of humor.
DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Minimum Education Required