Director of Development Operations and Annual Giving
- Job posted by Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation
One Exchange Plaza
55 Broadway, Suite 302
To accelerate breakthroughs, the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation provides today’s best young scientists with funding to pursue innovative cancer research. Founded in 1946, Damon Runyon is internationally recognized for identifying and supporting the most promising researchers in cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Damon Runyon seeks an experienced, detail-oriented and creative individual to act as Director of Development Operations and Annual Giving. Working closely with the Development team to meet the organization’s fundraising goals, this position is responsible for 1) oversight of all development operations, including donor and gift data management, donor communications, and development department policies and procedures, and 2) all aspects of annual giving, including management of direct mail and e-solicitations, monthly giving program, planned giving communications, and donor stewardship.
President & CEO
- Oversee all processes related to donor and gift data management, including responsibility for the integrity and accuracy of constituent/revenue records.
- Manage staff responsible for inputting all donor and gift data into Raiser’s Edge, processing acknowledgements, and generating mailing lists for Foundation communications.
- Oversee processes related to donor acknowledgement, stewardship and recognition, and recommend new initiatives to maximize donor engagement.
- Oversee new donor identification efforts and prospect research.
- Generate regular and ad hoc development reports for senior management and the development team. Perform data analysis related to all aspects of fundraising to evaluate the effectiveness of current efforts and make strategic recommendations.
- Identify and implement process improvements to increase operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Develop and implement a strategic approach to the annual giving program that is fully aligned with Damon Runyon’s fundraising goals.
- Manage and monitor direct mail program and e-solicitations. Work closely with marketing/communications staff to ensure fundraising programs are well-integrated into and consistent with other Damon Runyon communications.
- Oversee content, lists, execution and tracking of all mailings.
- Work closely with direct mail vendors, reviewing and analyzing current needs, contracts and schedules, and recommending modifications as needed.
- Develop, implement and monitor a plan to retain and upgrade Annual Giving donors.
- Oversee a monthly giving program, including developing strategies to convert recurring donors to sustainers.
- Oversee special communications focused on planned giving.
- Remain up-to-date on current fundraising and direct marketing programs and best practices being used in the non-profit sector.
- Management of two Development Coordinators.
- At least 5 years of experience managing an annual giving program and/or fundraising operations.
- Background in nonprofit philanthropy supporting health-related causes strongly preferred.
- Must possess knowledge of fundraising best practices and procedures, as well as current trends in Development and Annual Giving.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and Luminate Online strongly preferred.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills with the ability to take initiative, handle multiple tasks concurrently and work independently as well as a member of a team.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and be able to set priorities, often with competing deadlines.
- Rigorous and detail-oriented.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to listen and evaluate opinions, suggestions, and recommendations of others in a collaborative, effective manner. A record of success in working with a team to achieve common goals.
- Intellectual curiosity about advancements in biomedical research and the facility to convey progress made by Damon Runyon scientists to a sophisticated audience.
- High integrity and professionalism.
- Creative and flexible problem solver.
- A strong commitment to the mission of the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required