19 Clarendon Street
The Controller is a key position requiring strong management and analytical skills for a growing performance arts organization with an annual operating budget of $35mm and total assets of $40mm. The Controller will be responsible for all facets of the monthly accounting close and financial reporting inclusive of supervising two full-time staff (Payroll Specialist and Accounts Payable Coordinator), reconciliation of individual balance sheet & income statement accounts, analyzing financial trends, preparing financial statements, and collaborating with others inside and outside the finance department. The successful candidate will have strong organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills while working on several tasks/projects simultaneously. Additionally, the successful candidate will be detail and deadline oriented and mindful of a strong service ethic.
- Responsible for financial reporting oversight including leading the month-end accounting close, reconciling or reviewing reconciliations of balance sheet and income statement accounts, preparing departmental P&L reports, reviewing P&L activity with designated department managers, analyzing financial trends, and preparing management financial reports.
- Directly manage the payroll function ensuring accurate processing of weekly and bi-weekly payrolls plus the filing of all required payroll reports. Additional payroll responsibilities include the timely reconciliation of 941 quarterly payroll returns, union and non-union benefit plans, flexible spending accounts and transit reimbursement plans, and other fringe benefit entitlements.
- Directly manage the accounts payable/disbursements function including the review of disbursements and purchase card settlements. Coordinate the timing of disbursements with the cash management team. Supervise 1099 annual tax filing.
- Supervise daily cash management function including tracking of all sources and uses of cash, disbursing artistic stipends and petty cash, reconciling bank accounts on a timely basis, and assisting with regular cash flow forecasts.
- Coordinate with staff from Box Office, Development, and the Boston Ballet School to verify accuracy of revenue reported from Tessitura CRM application. Additional responsibilities include coordinating necessary data from these areas for grant proposals and industry surveys.
- Maintain and reconcile endowment subsidiary ledger inclusive of recording investment income, realized and unrealized gains/losses, and maintaining endowment unitization schedule of all individual endowments.
- Support annual budget process and intra-year forecasts by preparing necessary schedules and analyzing/interpreting monthly, quarterly, or annual financial results
- Coordinate annual financial audit including preparation of audit work papers per prescribed formats, resolution of audit questions, and serving as liaison between the auditors and Ballet employees.
- Assist in the preparation of all tax filings with the IRS and other state agencies including IRS forms 990 and 990-T, MA Form PC, and their related supporting schedules.
- Ensure the establishment and maintenance of necessary internal controls in all facets of the accounting cycle.
- Partner with Director of Technology to properly maintain and update the Macola accounting system inclusive of release updates.
- Serve as contact for internal and external accounting related inquiries.
- Assist on special projects and adhoc analysis as assigned by the Director of Finance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, CPA strongly preferred
- 8+ years of related experience
- Strong software skills including Excel and Word
- Previous work experience with payroll processing
- Staff management experience
- Experience with new software transitions or implementations a plus
- Previous experience with Macola Accounting software a plus
Boston Ballet is an equal employment opportunity employer
- Health and Dental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short-Term Disability
- Life Insurance and AD&D
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
- Commuter Choice Benefit Plan
- Paid Time Off – Holidays, Vacation Days, Personal Days, and Sick Days
- Free adult dance classes
- Complimentary tickets to Boston Ballet performances
Minimum Education Required