45 W. 36th Street, 8th Floor
Village Health Works (VHW) is a 501(c)(3) global health organization operating in Burundi (East Africa) with offices in New York City. Founded in 2006, VHW’s mission is to provide quality, compassionate health care in a dignified environment while also addressing the root causes of illness, poverty, violence, and neglect. We believe quality health care must address the root causes and social determinants of disease. Accordingly, we offer additional programs in education, agriculture, and economic and community development, in response to community needs.
About the Position
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Executive Assistant who will be comfortable working closely with a very busy CEO and COO. Some experience working as a personal assistant would be helpful but is not required. In addition to the day-to-day administrative duties, the EA will offer much broader support such as help with research and interfacing with potential donors.
This position is more than just a job – it is an opportunity to work directly with the Founder of VHW along with a passionate and inspiring team dedicated to improving the lives of Burundi’s most vulnerable people. We are looking for a professional whose values align with the mission and culture of Village Health Works.
● Manage complex calendars, ensuring that the CEO and COO schedules are well planned, followed and
● Arrange domestic and international travel plans and itineraries.
● Write and prepare correspondence including emails and acknowledgement letters.
● Act as primary staff liaison to the Board of Directors; schedule bi-monthly Board meetings and prepare meeting materials; support Board members and committees as needed.
● Act as a "barometer," having a sense of priority of issues as they arise, keeping the CEO and COO updated
regularly and whenever necessary.
● Accompany CEO and/or COO to special events and meetings as necessary.
● Support communications staff as needed (for op-eds and other pieces relevant to the CEO/Founder and COO).
● Manage incoming calls to the main phone line.
● Prepare expense reports
● Must be willing to respond to the occasional email or call on weekends or holidays.
The Ideal Candidate will
● Have strong writing and interpersonal skills including the ability to build relationships with stakeholders.
● Provide “gatekeeper” and “gateway” role.
● Be highly organized, detail-oriented, dedicated, and self-directed, with the ability to work independently as well as on a team.
● Possess emotional and intellectual maturity.
● Handle confidential information with discretion.
● Be able to multitask and prioritize.
● Have a global awareness and knowledge of cultural differences and business practices. S/he will be comfortable working in a small, fast-paced office and interacting with business and international leaders.
● Minimum bachelor's degree required.
● Strong background or interest in social justice and/or global health, experience in a public health related non-
profit org a plus.
● Experience and interest in writing internal and external communications, partnership development, and
● Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), Adobe Acrobat, and social media web
● Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience or comparable combination of education and experience.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience - full benefits package provided.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit a résumé and thoughtful cover letter to email@example.com with “Executive Assistant” in the subject line.
VHW considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. VHW is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required