Chapman Hillel Program Coordinator-Hillel Foundation of Orange County
- Job posted by Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life
Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining Chapman University Hillel as the Coordinator of Student Programming and Special Events. Inspire students to be leaders in creating a vibrant Jewish community on campus. You will drive Hillel forward by implementing leadership and cultivating a community through student-centric programming, through a commitment to pluralism and a passion for professional and personal growth.
Who We Are:
Hillel at Chapman University, located in Orange, California, is the center of Jewish life on campus. Serving nearly 500 Jewish students on a campus of 6,500 undergraduates, Jewish students consider Hillel their “home away from home” and through our on-campus programming learn, study, nap, hang out with friends, hold meetings and participate in a wide variety of engaging Jewish programs.
What You'll Do:
- Work closely with Chapman University's Director of Jewish Life, a member of the Fish Interfaith Center staff, to ensure calendar alignment and identify opportunities for collaboration.
- Guide the student leadership board to create programming that matches the vision of Hillel.
- Mentor student leaders in their development as Jews through individual meetings and group programs to cultivate a Jewish community that is caring, diverse, welcoming and actively inclusive.
- Ensure the successful implementation of weekly student programming with Hillel students and working closely with staff at the Fish Interfaith Center.
- Develop one-on-one relationships with Jewish students by meeting them where they live, work and/or study, utilizing creative methods to engage them in Jewish life.
- Expand Hillel's reach on campus by creating niche, micro-communities around students' interests.
- Work with students to implement a wide range of programs, including Shabbat and holiday celebrations, social opportunities, social justice projects and Jewish learning opportunities.
- Collaborate with our various student clubs at Chapman.
- Oversee marketing, social media, and content for Hillel website; maintain participant tracking database.
- Support engagement initiatives and programming to engage students not typically in Hillel's community .
- Create extended learning and social opportunities for students like Alternative Spring Breaks, Retreats, and social justice opportunities.
A Typical Day May Include:
- Having coffee with a first year student who has expressed interest in becoming more involved in Jewish life on campus.
- Supplying snacks for on campus hang out and Hillel community gatherings.
- Planning a student leadership development workshop.
- Meeting with students to design a new program targeting a population that hasn't been involved in Hillel before.
- Creating a social media plan to promote an upcoming speaker at Hillel.
- Working with student engagement interns to identify unengaged students.
- Ensuring all supplies and food is ordered well in advance of events.
- Decorating or creating spaces around campus that are welcoming and inviting.
- Shabbat specific responsibilities include organizing student leaders for set-up and clean-up, ensuring all supplies are ordered and ready for Friday evenings.
What You'll Bring to the Job:
- Bachelor's degree.
- 0-3 years of experience working with young adults in Jewish education, higher education, and/or community development.
- Strong skills in program development and/or event planning.
- Commitment to interfaith cooperation, pluralism, secular meaning-making and worldviews.
- Creative problem-solving techniques and sense of humor.
- Demonstrated skills in communication and facilitation.
- Comfort working independently and collaboratively.
- Demonstrated ability to build positive and collaborative relationships with stakeholders.
What You'll Receive:
- Competitive salary in nonprofit marketplace.
- Mentorship/coaching from an experienced Hillel professional.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel.
- Plenty of Hillel swag.
About Chapman Hillel:
Chapman Hillel is comprised of a unique and special community of emerging Jewish leaders. Students in Hillel are a part of an amazing faith community at Chapman that bolsters not only the surrounding Jewish life, but the entire Chapman community. The students that take part in Hillel are some of the most involved and active students around campus, serving their community as dorm counselors, student board members, the Panther staff members, and multiple other clubs.
Chapman Hillel strives to create a warm and family-like community on campus that many students call their "home away from home". From Shabbat dinners, to Jewish learning, all the way to social events and even various trips both nationally and abroad, Hillel creates a multiplicity of events to cater to each and every student in helping them on their Jewish journey.
About Hillel International:
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Chapman University is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Apply at www.Hillel.org/Jobs and include your resume and cover letter.