FairVote (www.fairvote.org) is the nation’s leading nonpartisan champion of electoral reforms that gives voters greater choice, a stronger voice, and a representative democracy that works for all Americans. We have a proven record helping to win trailblazing reforms at the local, state, and national level through innovative research, communications and collaboration. We focus today on ranked choice voting in cities and states and on the Fair Representation Act. Our politically and racially diverse team of staff and volunteers works in our offices in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. near the Takoma Metro and supports field staff in several states
Media Relations Director
FairVote’s full-time staff writer will write blogs, articles and commentaries on elections and electoral reform for FairVote’s website,Voices and Choices blog and for outside publications. Under the supervision of the Director of Media Relations and guidance from veteran journalist and senior fellow David Daley, the writer will craft rapid responses to current events and add FairVote’s unique perspective to electoral reform discussions in both local and major media platforms. In addition, the writer will provide regular content for FairVote’s blog, assist staff, state reform allies and board members with preparing written material, participate in FairVote’s podcasts, and be ready to appear on television and radio.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Write blog posts and assist in creating web content as needed
- Produce and pitch long-form articles and commentary on elections, electoral reform, and analysis and assist other staff and allies with such writing
- Identify and act on opportunities to provide commentary that puts FairVote and its reforms into the mainstream dialogue on democracy reform
- Assist the Media Relations Director and communications staff with media inquiries and interview requests
- Assist communications staff with targeted media outreach to journalists and editorial boards, including pitching stories to journalists writing about electoral reform topics and help maintain media database
- Draft and/or contribute to press material (press releases, fact sheets, media advisories, press kits, and speaker’s bios) and assist with preparing spokespersons for media appearances
- Work across all departments to ensure that FairVote’s website content is up-to-date, which includes posting blogs and reports, and reviewing the site for opportunities to improve content and messaging
- Be prepared to speak about writings on radio and television and FairVote’s podcast
- Provide insight into funding proposals and reports.
- Assist with other projects as assigned.
- Minimum of two years of professional writing or journalistic experience, with journalism degree preferred
- Comprehensive understanding of American democratic structures and challenges
- Sophisticated awareness of contemporary media landscape, the voice of publications, and interest/understanding of how to work with reporters and editors to best advance FairVote policy agenda
- Experience working with reporters and developing high-quality written materials, including blogs, fact sheets, talking points, and press releases
- Experience writing about public policy and politics a plus
- Strong writing and analytic skills
- Must be well organized, detail oriented, and have excellent time management skills.
- Must have ability to work independently as well as with a team
- Self-starter, creative thinker, and able to produce content on short deadlines
- Appreciation for our central reform priorities detailed at FairVote.org and, in particular, ranked choice voting and fair representation voting
- Able to multitask in a fast-paced, dynamic environment while still paying close attention to details
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be acceptable as a satisfactory substitute for any given qualification.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary commensurate with experience, along with a generous benefits package that includes health insurance (medical, vision and dental, along with payment of deductible costs), retirement, and commuting reimbursement.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, writing samples (one reflecting more popular writing and one more academic writing) and contact information of two professional references to email@example.com. Please use "Staff Writer" as the subject line of your email.
FairVote is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, or disability.