West Harlem Environmental Action a/k/a WE ACT for Environmental Justice is a non-profit, community-based advocacy organization that works to ensure residents of color and/or low wealth are engaged in environmental decision making that builds healthy and safe communities. WE ACT is a nationally recognized advocate in the environmental justice movement and is known for its work in the areas of children’s environmental health; government accountability; and climate, energy, and environmental justice.
WE ACT is seeking a Communications Manager with a demonstrated passion for justice and equity issues for our Federal Policy Office. This individual will report to the Director of the Federal Policy Office and be a key player in the development, implementation and evaluation of traditional and digital communications programs and campaigns.
The individual will also have professional experience that includes engaging reporters at local, national and specialty media outlets; using digital platforms to build community and tell compelling stories; and working with multiple stakeholders on issue-based advocacy campaigns.
● Co-create and implement a comprehensive communications plan in support of the policy priorities of the Federal Policy Office.
● Field and manage day-to-day media and speaking requests for the Federal Policy Office and Harlem-based staff, where appropriate.
● Plan and execute rapid response media and digital actions that center environmental justice in decision making.
● Craft external communications tools such as talking points, press releases, opinion pieces, blog posts, infographics, case studies, and other materials.
● Create and execute the editorial calendar for monthly website updates, newsletter content, social media posts and reporter pitches.
● Liaise with partner organizations on coordinated communications campaigns and rapid response programs.
● Oversee the development and production of reports and other marketing material including digital and traditional press kits.
● Track environmental justice news that is related to the priorities of the Federal Policy Office and flag engagement opportunities.
● Coordinate events hosted by the Federal Policy Office including press conferences, internal meetings, stakeholder events.
● Bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, or communications preferred.
● 3-4 years of external communications experience - preferably in a journalism, campaign, government or issue advocacy setting.
● Proficiency with digital communications platforms and media management tools such as Canva, Cision, Hootsuite, Mailchimp and Wordpress.
● Excellent writing, proofing and editing skills.
● Experience managing contractors such as graphic designers.
● Excellent telephone, oral communications and presentation skills.
● High fluency with Microsoft Office software including PowerPoint.
● Local and national media connections including reporters and outlets; preference for experience working with reporters in the climate, environmental justice and energy spaces.
● Experience with graphic design tools such as Audition and Photoshop are desirable but not mandatory.
West Harlem Environmental Action a/k/a WE ACT for Environmental Justice is a non-profit, community-based advocacy organization that works to ensure residents of color and/or low wealth are engaged in environmental decision making that…
WE ACT offers employees a full medical package of Health, vision and dental coverage. There are also voluntary benefits made available to employees. Pre-tax contribution to 401K once eligible. Also Pre-tax transportation card available.
WE ACT offers employees a full medical package of Health, vision and dental coverage. There are also voluntary benefits made available to employees. Pre-tax contribution to 401K…
Fluency in Spanish would be a plus
Fluency in Spanish would be a plus
Please email your cover letter, resume, and two writing samples (writing samples should feature different genres of writing and/or different content and should be relevant to this position’s duties) as a PDF to our Director of Administration and Human Resources, Evelyn Joseph, at email@example.com. Please include three references.
WE ACT is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ communities.
Please email your cover letter, resume, and two writing samples (writing samples should feature different genres of writing and/or different content and should be relevant to this…