43-31 39th Street
A Driver performs work in the operation of a vehicle to assure safe transportation of clients to and from senior services at Sunnyside Community Services and other desired locations as needed. Driver assists clients on entry and exit from vehicles as necessary. Additional responsibilities include maintaining a variety of records, such as time at each stop, purpose of trip, number of passengers per day, daily mileage, gas purchases and usage; and vehicle maintenance. Independent judgment must be exercised in handling unusual situations arising with passengers. Drivers report, receive direction and route assignments from the Transportation Coordinator.
This position is subject to the Agency’s Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Policy that includes: pre-employment testing, post-accident testing, random testing, reasonable suspicion testing, return to duty testing, and follow-up testing.
- Must arrive to work well rested, healthy and able to drive.
- Drive an assigned route to transport individuals to and from the authorized program.
- Inspect vehicle daily and report any malfunctions, deteriorating conditions or damage to Transportation Coordinator immediately.
- Assist with helping passengers safely in and out of the vehicle. When driving for the Adult Day Service program, a program aide will accompany the driver on all routes and assist in passenger boarding, disembarking and transfer to an authorized caregiver.
- Ensure that driver and all passengers are wearing seat belts.
- Use the vehicle lift to assist wheelchair passengers safely into the vehicle.
- Assist passengers in securing wheelchairs and other mobile devices.
- Assume responsibility for care and maintenance of the vehicle, wash and clean interior and take the vehicle for needed repairs and inspections.
- Ensure the safety of agency issued cell phone which is not used while driving and only in the case of emergency.
- Driver must send text message to Transportation Coordinator or in his absence, text Directors of Senior Center or ADS Director to confirm that all passengers were dropped off safely at end of daily route.
- Drive staff to locations authorized by Transportation Coordinator or Directors.
- Ensure that appropriate credentials (i.e. driver’s license, defensive driving certification, etc.) are renewed and kept up to date.
- Ensure that all safe practices of the road are respected and comply with all NYS Dept. of Motor Vehicle regulations.
- Report any incidents or accidents in writing to Transportation Coordinator within 24 hours.
- Report the receipt of any summons or driving infractions immediately to Transportation Coordinator.
- Log agency gas card out and in, record gas purchase and mileage, turn in gas receipts to Transportation Coordinator and keep gas card in secure location while in possession.
- Ensure no smoking in vehicle.
- Call passengers to confirm pick-up.
- Must be knowledgeable and comply with SCS Transportation Service Standards and Emergency Transportation Procedures.
- Abide by all agency policies & procedures.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
· Employee must possess a valid driver's license issued by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
· Must have three years of driving experience.
· No convictions for driving while intoxicated.
· No moving violations in the past two years.
· At least two checked references.
· Must take and successfully pass a pre-employment drug test, as well as at random, reasonable suspicion, and post-accident drug and alcohol tests.
· Must provide a DMV issued driving abstract every year.
· Ability to operate a van or small bus.
· Working knowledge of the rules and regulations involved in the safe and efficient operation of automotive equipment and basic maintenance procedures.
· Ability to work effectively and patiently with others as well as good interpersonal skills to establish rapport with clients, staff and families.
· Ability to operate lift equipment and to correctly secure wheelchairs and other mobility devices.
· Ability to understand and follow verbal and written instructions.
· English is required. Bilingual; English/Spanish preferred
· Ability to attend special certification trainings as needed (i.e. special needs assistance training, defensive driving, CPR, First Aid, etc.)
Driving, bending, sitting, stooping, standing and lifting. Ability to carry or move moderate size objects (40-60 lbs). Must have vision of 20/40 or better.
Work is performed inside/outside in all types of weather conditions. The employee is exposed to wet and/or humid conditions.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
How to apply: Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Melissa Vitale or mail to 43-31 39th Street, Sunnyside, NY 11104. Indicate “Driver– Your Name” in the subject line. EOE