Overview: The English Learner Department of Lawrence Public Schools is seeking an English Learner Family Engagement Specialist to prioritize and increase engagement of families of English Learners, particularly families newly arrived to the district and/or the United States.
- Manage all family communication of the EL Department
- Serve as the liaison to the English Learner Parent Advisory Council (ELPAC), aiding ELPAC officers in recruitment, agendas, and advocacy
- Plan, in collaboration with ELPAC, two large-scale family events per year (fall and spring)
- Research and compile resource packet for newly arrived families of ELs
- Facilitate the recruitment and coordination of parent ESL classes
- Develop 2-4 generic family workshops and present at various stakeholder meetings (PTO, Tu Voz, Family ESL classes, school events, etc.)
- Develop generic workshops around engaging with newly arrived families of English Learners to be presented to Lawrence Public Schools staff (teachers, admin, etc.).
- Aid ESL teachers in planning family literacy events
- Represent the LPS EL Department at family and community events throughout the year
- Join school-based staff on home visits to newly arrived families as requested by schools
- Provide translation/interpretation for EL events
- Support EL Department with exploration and implementation of dual language program as pertaining to family and community stakeholder engagement
- Plan and oversee centralized Title III grant supplemental programming for students during the academic year (before/after school programming for English Learners), including family recruitment and communication
- Fully bilingual in English and Spanish (both written and oral)
- Familiarity with Lawrence, MA community and/or Lawrence Public Schools preferred
- Experience with translation/interpretation preferred
- Experience teaching ESL preferred
- Passion and commitment to multilingual learners and their families
This is a full time position, with some evening work included.