Director of Development, School of International & Public Affairs (SIPA)
- Job posted by Columbia University, Office of Alumni and Development
Details: Commensurate with experience
622 West 113th Street
MC4520 7th Floor
The Director of Development will report to the Associate Dean of Development for Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) and will be a key partner in the development and implementation of SIPA's fundraising strategy. The School has experienced three years of record annual fundraising totals, as well as an increase in the number of donors and average size of gift. The Director of Development will be essential to SIPA in sustaining this fundraising success, achieving the School's campaign goals of $150M, and for sustaining and building upon SIPA's annual fundraising target of $20M.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintain a portfolio of 150 leadership annual fund and major gift donors and prospects
- Undertake frontline fundraising activities with prospects to secure support for the School's priorities and initiatives including 15 major gift asks, 10 leadership annual fund asks, and 150 visits per year.
- Supervise the day to day operations of SIPA's annual fund ("The SIPA Fund"), digital fundraising efforts, and stewardship activities to increase donor engagement, acquisition, and retention while managing the related budgets.
- Manage three staff on the SIPA development team: Assistant Director of Development, Assistant Director of Donor Relations, and Digital Strategist.
- Work closely with the Associate Dean on planning and prospect management for the campaign
- Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets and best practices.
- Ensure the proper maintenance of the database of donors, alumni, and friends.
- Serve as the development liaison for SIPA's Alumni Association Executive Board
- Manage SIPA's Global Leadership Awards Gala: Solicit honorary board members, oversee event management and design.
- Partner with SIPA's various departments, especially with SIPA's Communications and External Relations Team, SIPA's Alumni Affairs Office as well the University's Office of Alumni and Development teams.
Bachelor's degree required. Minimum of five (5) years of experience in development required. Experience with annual fund, programmatic fundraising, development planning and strategy, frontline fundraising, donor relations and stewardship, and project management is required. Computer proficiency (Word, Excel) required. Some evening and travel required.
Demonstrated excellence in a variety of competencies including: project management, teamwork, analytical thinking, and donor relations. Excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including a high level of attention to detail and active listening skills. Must be able to problem-solve and troubleshoot, in addition to the ability to work independently in a dynamic team environment. Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets and best practices. Demonstrated ability to effectively partner with a diverse group of administrators and academic leaders to advance the mission and fundraising goals. Must have a passion for excellent donor service and commitment to exceptional quality.
Columbia University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Medical and dental coverage, tuition exemption, retirement contributions and more.
Minimum Education Required