5 West 63rd Street
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Association Office of the YMCA is seeking an individual who will be responsible for managing a portfolio of design and construction projects across the organization’s branches and facilities. The Design and Construction Manager will play a critical role in enhancing and redefining the Y’s real estate portfolio. Projects will have a direct and tangible impact on the Y experience for the half million New Yorkers that the Y serves through our facilities and programs and will include cosmetic, functional and structural improvements to key member engagement and wellness areas. The incumbent will also spearhead several organization-wide design initiatives, including the creation of design standards for facility public spaces, the design and implementation of a portfolio-wide wayfinding and signage system and identifying a series of capital investment strategies targeted towards enhancing the value and competitiveness of the YMCA’s 900+ Guest Rooms.
- Manage a diverse portfolio of design and construction projects from conceptual design through completion.
- Work with Operations and Finance staff to establish scope, schedule and budget.
- Interface with Operations staff during project design and construction.
- Oversee all aspects of the procurement process, from solicitation through contract award and preparation of AIA contract.
- Manage project budgets and oversee project execution.
- Provide reconciliation reports at the end of projects including the release of liens and close out documentation.
- Manage the creation of design standard for public spaces.
- Serve as primary liaison with the YMCA’s outside architects.
- Leverage the design of projects into a series of standards and a “kit of parts” that can be used for future lobby renovations throughout the portfolio.
- Develop the design standards and equipment specifications for common areas within the YMCA’s architectural program.
- Develop and implement a wayfinding system that can be implemented at all YMCA locations.
- Survey best practices (both within YMCA network and beyond).
- Work with YMCA Operations and Communications staff and outside consultants to design a wayfinding system.
- Work with Operations staff to develop a phased implementation plan.
- Identify and execute upon a series of potential capital improvements that will enhance value and competitiveness of Guest Room Portfolio.
- Work with YMCA Real Estate staff and the YMCA’s Hospitality Consultants to develop a scope of potential improvements.
- Serve as Project Manager for all resulting projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of five to ten years’ experience in architecture, including project management and/or
- Experience leading infrastructure projects inclusive of scope, scheduling, budgeting, project planning and implementation.
- Expertise with Construction, Project Management, Structural Systems, NYC Code Compliance, and LEED.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with an organizational culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promote participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Manager, Design and Construction” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
YMCA of Greater New York
Attn: Human Resources
5 West 63rd Street – 6th Floor
New York, NY 10023
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.