1701 Torrey Pines Ct
Community Preservation and Development Corporation (CPDC) is a leader in the affordable housing industry. We invest in real estate, people, and communities. Our mission is to develop vibrant communities through innovation and partnerships.
Over the last 27 years, CPDC has established an unparalleled reputation for revitalizing communities across the Greater Washington, DC Metropolitan Region. CPDC offers affordable housing to over 10,000 residents across more than 30 properties (5,000 units) in Washington, DC, Virginia, and Maryland. In these communities, residents have established tenant associations, organized voter registration, improved their school performance, achieved their GEDs, improved their employability, help to establish electronic villages, and created safe and more secure communities.
This position is located at CPDC’s Island Walk rental community in Reston, VA. The Youth Specialist will work with program staff to develop, implement, and evaluate an After School Program and Summer Enrichment Program for children and youth grades 1st through 12th. The Youth Specialist will assist students with homework, engage students in learning activities, and work with CPDC staff to further develop programs that foster a love for learning and reinforce attendance and participation expectations.
Hours are Monday through Thursday, 3:00 PM to 8:00 PM (with some flexibility).
This position reports to the Community Impact Strategies Manager at Island Walk and is funded through the Fairfax County Consolidated Community Funding Pool.
- Keep students (grades 1st through 12th) engaged and focused on learning activities and support them in completing homework assignments
- Collaborate with STEM Tutor to ensure middle and high school students are receiving appropriate support towards achieving Math progress goals
- Assist youth and offer instruction on study strategies, research skills, and assist in areas of greatest academic needs
- Collaborate with Younger Youth Homework Tutor and Reading Tutor to ensure elementary students are receiving appropriate support towards Language Arts and Math progress goals
- Foster relationships with students by planning and participating in fun events and activities that incorporate underlying academic strategies
- Plan and implement Summer Enrichment Program with emphasis on sustaining Language Arts and Math skills
- Track daily attendance and student notes as needed
- Assist with documenting and tracking student academic progress and provide consistent assessments to supervisor regarding student progress
- Communicate with parents regarding student successes and concerns, including one-on-one meetings at least twice per year
- Communicate actively with teachers and school administrators when appropriate regarding student progress or concerns
- Model and enforce the site program rules consistently and fairly
- Manage and maintain behavior management system
- Experience and/or understanding working with the local schools and children of all ages
- A passion for working with children, especially in an academic and enrichment setting
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Strong tutoring skills with emphasis on Math and Language Arts
- Good role model for youth
- Tolerance and openness to different world views and sensitivity to other cultures and languages
- Respect for self and others
- Ability to problem solve, to see solutions and opportunities as well as obstacles
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Willingness to learn, to accept supervision and direction
- Dependability in reporting to work on time and assuming assigned responsibilities
- Good interpersonal relationship skills
- Knowledge of positive classroom management strategies preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or similar, plus a minimum of two years of relevant work experience; or a minimum of three years of documented, successful experience in academic tutoring, community development, or community organizing activities
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Competent computer and technology skills
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Apply directly on our careers site: https://careers.enterprisecommunity.com