The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI was distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search.
Rise Up, based at the Public Health Institute, is seeking a full-time Development / Communications Associate to be based in our office in Oakland, CA.
Rise Up activates women and girls to transform their lives, families and communities through investment in local solutions, strengthening leadership, and building movements. Since 2009, Rise Up’s powerful network of over 500 leaders has directly benefited 7 million girls, youth, and women, advocating for over 100 laws and policies impacting 115 million people in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the US.
Rise Up is seeking an experienced Development/Communications Associate to play a vital role on our team at an exciting time of organizational growth and expansion. Reporting to our Development and Partnerships Manager, the Associate will support institutional and individual fundraising efforts and communications and marketing efforts. The Associate will be a strong writer and problem-solver and possess the ability to be extremely detail-oriented with stellar organizational, verbal, and written communication skills. A skilled understanding of donor relationships and marketing strategy are also beneficial to this position.
Duties include working with the Development and Communications teams to coordinate fundraising events, cultivate donor relationships, track and process donations, create funder reports and assist with email marketing, social media, and contribute to external communications as needed. This position includes financial duties related to donations processing and event budget management.
As a Development / Communications Associate, you will:
Development Support - 70%
- Serve as the liaison to our Leadership Council, Rise Up’s individual donor board, and organize quarterly meetings and events
- Assist in the development of a donor database
- Record, track, and administer acknowledgements for all donations
- Research and seek out new funding sources including individual donors, institutional funders and sponsors
- Assist in gathering relevant impact data for funder reports and proposals
- Coordinate and track complex logistics for fundraising events and meetings, including managing budgets
Communications Support – 30%
- Coordinate creation of annual reports and new organization collateral
- Liaise with communications firm to update website as needed
- Manage monthly newsletter development process and the organization’s contact management system
- Coordinate marketing focused events and opportunities
- Maintain graphics and photo files
- Support day-to-day social media efforts
- Contribute to newsletters, blogs and other communications as needed
- Maintain MailChimp email platform
Our ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor degree required
- Minimum one year of experience supporting development and communications efforts in the non-profit or global / public health sector
- Excellent writing and relationship building skills
- Strong administration and logistic coordination skills
- Excellent communication with team members and funders
- Demonstrated ability to work with and in diverse communities and cultures
- Ability to work well independently and on a team in a fast-paced environment
- Commitment to advancing social justice for girls, youth, and women globally
- Advanced computer skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, database software
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills
- This job is eligible for PHI’s full suite of benefits including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision coverage, health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts, and generous time off.
How to apply:
- To apply for this opportunity, submit your cover letter and resume via this link.
- In your cover letter, please describe the extent of your related experience and why you feel you are an excellent candidate for this position
Thank you for your interest in working with us at PHI. Should you have any questions regarding the job opportunity, email our hiring team at Recruitment@phi.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
Public Health Institute is proud to be an EEO/AA employer
We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, immigrant, bilingual, and bicultural individuals
Minimum Education Required