The Youth Employment Partnership, Inc. (YEP) seeks a Development & Communications Assistant with outstanding written and verbal communication skills, along with a background in digital design, to help grow a diverse portfolio of funding sources and develop all aspects of YEP’s social and print media marketing communications. The Assistant will work in concert with YEP’s Director of Development & Evaluation and Executive Director.
Who We Are
The mission of YEP is to improve the employment and education outcomes for Oakland youth and young adults (ages 14-24) impacted by poverty, foster care, homelessness, the criminal justice system, school underachievement and other barriers to work by providing transformative job training, critical skill building, transitional housing, and contextualized education paired with work experience in living classrooms.
YEP operates one of the highest performing youth workforce development programs in the San Francisco Bay Area, serving 500-600 young people each year. YEP’s 26,000 square foot training facility, located in the lower San Antonio neighborhood in Oakland, houses a fully-equipped construction workshop, commercial kitchen, warehouse, computer lab, five classrooms and alternative education credit recovery high school—all of which were designed and built by youth in our construction training program. Since 1973, YEP has trained more than 34,000 youth and young adults, with more than 85% completing the program and 75% advancing in education and/or employment. For more information visit www.yep.org.
Primary Job Responsibilities | Communications (60%)
- Develop and maintain a robust web and social media communications strategy and presence.
- Design and create a bank of easily accessible digital assets (e.g., graphics, illustrations, logos, photos) for YEP staff.
- Create concepts, layout, and write content for newsletters and annual impact reports.
- Produce gripping program and event flyers, posters, mailers, and other materials for different audiences, including youth participants and donors.
- Help counselors develop outreach material.
- Organize and maintain spreadsheet of online program applications and direct to appropriate staff.
- Take and edit photos for website, reports, and social media.
- Respond to online inquiries.
- Teach a one-hour newsletter/digital media class to youth once a week.
Primary Job Responsibilities | Development (40%)
- In partnership with YEP’s Director of Development & Evaluation, develop strategic multi-year private/public sector fund development plans to secure financial resources consistent with agency priorities.
- Research funding opportunities from government, foundation, public and private sources and produce timely reports on requirements and procedures.
- Generate letters of interest, intents to propose, proposals, and other funding requests in collaboration with YEP’s Directors.
- Review, analyze, and cite relevant academic studies and research across a variety of fields, including labor market trends, housing, criminal justice, psychology/youth development, education and more.
EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS: B.A. or B.S. required
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Prior experience in grant writing, research, editing, and reporting.
- Prior experience in website & social media marketing and digital engagement.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with image design and editing (Adobe Illustrator or Photoshop a plus).
- Strong ability to sit and focus on a single task for multiple hours.
- Excellent trouble-shooting and self-management skills.
- Ability to thrive in a high energy, demanding work environment.
- Extraordinary multi-tasking skills and keen attention to detail.
- Comfortable working in a non-profit environment (i.e., large workforce training warehouse in the Oakland flatlands).
- A serious dedication to bettering the lives of underserved and at-risk youth
This position is also contingent upon your ability to:
- Pass a fingerprint and background check (required of all YEP employees).
- Access to a vehicle at least 10 hours/week, a valid driver’s license, and proof of insurance.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Salary: $55,000-$60,000 a year commensurate with experience and education.
Benefits: YEP offers a generous benefits package of 17% of gross monthly salary in a cafeteria-style plan which includes medical, dental, and vision as well as childcare, education, and mental health & wellness reimbursement options (e.g., $60,000 annual salary x 17% = $10,200 in flexible benefits per year). Benefits also include access to no-cost Employee Assistance Program.
Paid Time Off: YEP offers 10 paid holidays, 4 floating holidays, sick leave and vacation time.
Hours: 40 hours per week, Monday – Friday, onsite (not a remote position)
- Please send your 1) resume, 2) a cover letter, and 3) a writing sample with “Development & Communications Assistant” in the subject line to email@example.com.
- In your cover letter please include a brief overview of your writing history. This can include in formal educational contexts (such as courses taken), work-related assignments, and hobby writing.
- In your cover letter please also include a brief overview of your digital design and marketing/communications experience.
- Your writing sample can be a research paper written for a college course, publication, or any form of extended prose that you feel displays your ability to compose compelling sentences and reference sources.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY: The Youth Employment Partnership, Inc. actively seeks to hire, promote, and provide services to individuals without regard to race, creed, color, gender, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, veteran status, national origin or age. If you need accommodations, please contact the office.