Details: $15.00 per hour
Location: Emergency Shelter
Reports To: Case Manager
The Women’s and Children’s Crisis Shelter, Inc. (WCCS) is seeking a full-time bilingual (English/Spanish) Family Advocate to promote safety and empowerment of victims of domestic violence by providing advocacies.
· Assists clients in identifying needs;
· Provides direct crisis intervention to clients when needed;
· Maintains cooperative working relationships with and interacts with social/public systems on behalf or with clients (CalWORKs, health-care agencies, housing agencies, legal/court systems, social service agencies, transitional housing programs, law enforcement, Victim Services, resources and referrals;
· Assures that advocacy plan is carried out; Advocacy and linkages services in coordination with the case manager include but are not limited to:
o Temporary Restraining Orders;
o Client accompaniment to court hearing, housing interviews, etc.;
o Client rights education;
o Law enforcement report filings;
o CalWORKs assistance;
o Educational and employment advocacies;
o Emergency & transitional housing linkages;
o Drug/substance abuse/rehabilitation program linkages;
o Legal aid and immigration advocacy linkage;
o Healthcare linkages;
o Food and financial resources linkages (i.e. CalWORKs, WIC, etc.)
· Files child abuse referrals when necessary;
· Transports clients as needed;
· Provides child care during support group classes, counseling sessions or as needed;
· Develop ongoing referral relationships with health, legal and social service system;
· Assures rights of clients are adhered to within shelter policies and guidelines;
· Keeps supervisor informed of status of clients, urgent program needs, client non-compliance, emergency situation, and program progress;
· Maintains a written record of operations in a timely manner through client log, client files and client service activity sheets;
· Attends staff meetings and in-service trainings as needed; and
· Performs additional duties as requested by supervisor.
Must have great understanding of confidentiality and ethical conduct, have good writing skills, and be a self starter as well as a team player.
• BA/BS from accredited college or equivalent experience;
• State of California forty-hour Domestic Violence Training Certificate preferred;
· Bilingual English/Spanish preferred;
· Cultural sensitivity;
· First Aid/CPR Training Certificate;
· Knowledge of family structure and community dynamics of population served;
· Ability to accept diverse personal and cultural behaviors;
· Must exhibit flexibility, mature judgment, confidence and competence;
· Good writing and communication skills;
· Must have current California Driver’s License, good driving record and current automobile insurance.
Hours: Full-time schedule of either Sunday-Thursday or Tuesday-Saturday based on staffing and shelter needs. Non-exempt, varies, and on-call as scheduled/needed.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter and resume to: HR@dvshelter.org
Closing Date: This position will remain open until filled.
**No phone calls, please**
Women’s and Children’s Crisis Shelter
“Women’s and Children’s Crisis Shelter is committed to provide safety, shelter and hope to victims of domestic violence.”
WCCS is an equal opportunity employer. All employees and applicants are evaluated by WCCS on the basis of their qualifications, consistent with applicable state and federal laws, without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin or ancestry, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer-related or HIV/AIDS conditions), gender, genetic characteristics or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.
After 90 days of employment you have the option in enrolling in health, dental, and vision insurance.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required