3200 NE 125th St
Literacy Source partners with adults working to gain skills and education to create new opportunities for themselves, their families, and the community. As a non-profit community learning center, we envision and work towards an inclusive and equitable society providing education and opportunities for all adults. We provide free basic skills classes and one-on-one tutoring at our Learning Center in Lake City and in locations throughout the community.
This position will teach ESOL classes at our Learning Center as well potentially teaching an ESOL class in the community. The instructor will work as part of a team to provide instruction and instructional case management to adult learners, and to provide training and support for volunteer tutors. Essential duties and responsibilities include:
ESOL Instruction and Student Support:
• Teach multi-level ESOL classes
• Create lesson plans aligned with the CCRS and use instructional methods geared toward the adult learner in a classroom setting
• Integrate the teaching of employability and basic digital literacy skills into curriculum
• Maintain and express enthusiasm and commitment to helping adult students learn
• Help conduct New Student Orientations, intake interviews and assessments
• Provide support and advocacy for caseload of students, including: working with students to establish goals and identify challenges of barriers to learning, monitoring and interpreting on-going assessment results to track and support student progress; providing learning recommendations to students and instructors; monitoring student attendance in classes and following-up with calls to absent students.
• Match students in caseload with tutors as interested, and provide on-going support to volunteer instructors and tutors, including regular check-ins regarding curriculum and instruction
Supervision and Training:
▪ Provide support and supervision to classroom volunteers and one-on-one tutors.
▪ Help plan and conduct trainings for volunteers
▪ Assist with ongoing Center needs, including phone answering and greeting the public
▪ Keep up on research and trends in the field of Adult Basic Education and participate in trainings as needed.
▪ Work easily as part of a team and participate in all-staff and instructional team meetings
HOURS: This is a full-time, exempt, 35 hours per week position. Classes at the Learning Center are Monday to Thursday between 8:30am and 8:30pm. Schedule will be determined by teaching assignment - with additional hours on Fridays and weekends as needed.
- At least two years of experience teaching lower-level ESOL and basic skills adults
- A degree in TESOL, Adult Education, Education, or a related field.
- Experience with curriculum development tailored to specific student groups and aligned to Common Core standards or CCRS.
- Demonstrated experience with using a wide range of appropriate teaching methods, instructional materials, and forms of assessment.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate technology to enhance instruction and familiarity with online learning management systems.
- Awareness of diverse learning styles and demonstrated experience in applying that knowledge to the development of teaching materials as well as the delivery of instruction.
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, and experience in furthering the educational development of adult learners from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work independently and prioritize competing demands.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and demonstrated competence in interpersonal relationships.
- A Master's degree in Adult Basic Education or related field.
- Experience as a language learner.
- Experience with CASAS appraisal system.
Full benefits, including medical, dental, paid holidays, employer-matching pension plan, vacation and sick time. Compensation is $22.68 per hour.
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required