120 South LaSalle Street, Suite 900
LAF is the Midwest’s largest provider of free civil legal services to people living in poverty or who are otherwise vulnerable. Each year we provide legal help, from advice to full legal representation, to approximately 14,000 clients in matters such as domestic violence, unfair evictions, and obtaining necessary services or benefits.
Position: LAF’s Comprehensive Legal Assistance for Survivors Project (CLASP) provides legal representation to survivors of sexual assault, with an emphasis on non-intimate partner victims, including low wage workers/employment-based victims, limited English-speakers, and teens. The intake and outreach paralegal has dual roles – to be a first point of contact for applicants seeking legal help, and to design and conduct outreach to raise awareness of CLASP services for residents in Chicago and suburban Cook County. The paralegal will work closely with LAF’s CLASP partner, Resilience (f/k/a Rape Victim Advocates). Funding for this position begins on October 1, 2018 and will continue for 3 years.
Responsibilities include, without limitation:
· Conduct intake and comprehensive legal screening for victims of sexual assault by phone and in-person, including on site at partner locations. Intake includes entering information into a confidential case management system.
· Connect clients with LAF attorneys with expertise in identified legal issues, coordinate legal services and refer clients with multiple issues, and assist attorneys with litigation support and translation.
· Coordinate communication between agencies for clients who are receiving services from both LAF and Resilience.
· Create outreach plan and materials collaboratively with Resilience and conduct outreach activities to raise awareness of CLASP services for victims of sexual assault, focusing on low-wage workers/employment-based victims, limited English-speakers (especially Spanish-speaking), and teens.
· Attend trainings and maintain up-to-date knowledge on relevant issues.
Qualifications: Applicants must have a college degree, be fluent in Spanish and English, have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel to various outreach locations throughout Cook County. Applicant does not need a car. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated interest or experience working with survivors of sexual assault. Experience conducting outreach activities is preferred. Flexibility and ability to work occasional evenings and weekends are essential.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Salary: Depends on experience. Generous fringe benefits.
To Apply: Send a cover letter, resume, college transcript (student-issued ok), and contact information for two professional references to: email@example.com. Please type “CLASP Paralegal” in the email subject line. The position will remain open until filled.
LAF values diversity, is an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not
discriminate on the basis of disability, and encourages candidates with
experience working with our client population to apply.