Program Coordinator of College Access & Success (Full-Time Position)
South Asian Youth Action (SAYA)
South Asian Youth Action (SAYA) is committed to providing its employees opportunities for growth in a supportive community environment. With a flexible schedule and generous benefits package, SAYA provides its employees a healthy work-life balance in a fast-growing youth development nonprofit.
SAYA: Belong. Grow. Thrive.
South Asian Youth Action (SAYA) is a 501(c)3 organization for New York City youth ranging in age from first graders to college students. SAYA is South Asian-focused, inclusive and committed to connecting young people from all backgrounds to opportunities. Our mission is to foster a strong sense of belonging in youth and provide them with tools to thrive academically, professionally and personally. Many of our participants are first- or second-generation immigrants and face challenges that can hinder their chances to be academically successful, graduate high school and go to college. SAYA provides an accessible, safe and culturally affirming space for all youth and offers mentorship beyond the classroom so they confidently grow into engaged community members ready for college, career and personal success. Established in 1996, SAYA has grown into a $4.3 million organization currently running programs at nine NYC schools and our community center in Elmhurst, Queens.
SAYA’s Program Coordinator of College Access & Success will be integral to the delivery of college success efforts to all of our college enrolled program participants. The Program Coordinator will assist in implementation of the College Success Roadmap and SAYA’s strategic vision of college and career advisement efforts through workshop delivery and caseload management. The Program Coordinator will also support in the implementation of college access programming. Finally, the Program Coordinator will also provide support for the daily functions of the Elmhurst Center. They will participate in planning efforts around college trips, as well as other SAYA-wide events and initiatives.
Reports to: Program Manager of College Access & Success
- Design and implement college transitions workshops and serve as college access and success advisor.
- Meet with youth individually and in small groups to provide advisement and support.
- Guide and advice students around best practices to help ensure their academic success and fulfillment.
- Create and collaborate on curriculum planning and lesson plan development with colleagues.
- Visit NYC college campuses and facilitate on-campus cohorts of SAYA alumni to form peer support networks.
- Connect youth to public and private sources of financial aid and scholarships.
- Track, maintain, and follow up on students’ progress.
Career and Internship Coordination
- Research, compile and provide internship and career advisement and resources.
- Assist in building partnerships with stakeholders, and track and update a list of opportunities.
- Plan events that provide career and internship exposure.
- Disseminate resources, such as available internships, jobs and scholarships, to SAYA alumni network.
Other Administrative Tasks
- Maintain and develop relationships with other on campus college success initiatives.
- Assist with maintenance of the alumni database, and identify and disseminate information on relevant resources to support their academic and professional careers.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Support in SAYA wide events and trips.
- Bachelor’s degree required and at least one to three years of experience working in youth development.
- Deep understanding of positive youth development, education learning standards and issues facing immigrant and first generation youth in the US.
- College guidance experience and strong knowledge of the college matriculation and financial aid processes.
- Ability to research and develop opportunities for alumni.
- Ability to develop partnerships, work with and in teams.
- Takes initiative and has ability to problem solve.
- Energized by the idea and process of creating and implementing new initiatives
- Strong writing and oral communication skills.
- Highly organized, detail oriented and trustworthy.
We offer a flexible schedule and generous benefits package
Minimum Education Required