Planned Parenthood Texas Votes is hiring a Political Development Director
Planned Parenthood Texas Votes
Political Development Director
Position: Full-time, permanent
Location: Austin, Dallas, or Houston
Planned Parenthood Texas Votes (PPTV) is the statewide advocacy arm of Planned Parenthood affiliates in Texas that engages supporters of reproductive health and rights to fight to protect and expand women’s access to preventative and reproductive healthcare, including abortion. The work at PPTV is fast-paced and deals with complex and high priority matters related to the politics of reproductive health in Texas. Our programs range from talking to voters about the politics of abortion to advocating to protect funding for preventive health care.
PPTV is expanding our team and is hiring a Political Development Director that will work for Planned Parenthood Texas Votes 501(c)(4), Planned Parenthood Advocates of Texas 501(c)(3), and PPTV Political Action Committee (PAC).
The Political Development Director is responsible for managing and implementing the development programs to support the three statewide Planned Parenthood advocacy and political entities. The Political Development Director will assist in developing the goals and strategies for an effective, comprehensive program including developing strategies for the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of gifts from a variety of sources including individual giving ($999 and below), special events, grants, and major gifts ($1,000 and above).
This position is both strategic and tactical, working closely with the Executive Director and serving as a liaison with senior development staff of regional affiliates. The Development Director reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Job Functions & Expectations
- Develop and implement a strategic plan of action with objectives, timelines and evaluation plans for the individual giving program and the major donor giving program that includes identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors and prospects, and for gifts from foundations.
- With the input of the Executive Director and senior development staff of affiliate organizations, create individual and annual giving, and major political donor program plans which are integrated into overall development annual plans for the affiliate organizations and address political fundraising needs statewide for mid-level and major political donors.
- Works closely with the senior development executives and other departmental team members from other Planned Parenthood organizations to ensure coordination with their respective fundraising efforts. Ensures that briefing, presentation, and donor materials are provided in advance of meetings, solicitations, and events.
- Manages individual giving, major giving, and foundation giving programs to support the three statewide advocacy and political organizations, with a combined annual budget of $2 million.
- Creates and administers a program and activities to solicit gifts from donors, prospects, trustees, board members and friends of the organization including personal solicitations, electronic solicitations, and mail.
- Initiates new and relevant fundraising opportunities in grant funding, manages grants calendar, provides foundation research and follow-up, drafts grant proposals and writes grant reports.
- Coordinates, either directly or in conjunction with senior development staff of regional affiliates, all logistical aspects of special events, including invitation lists and online and offline registration.
- Manages direct mail and email solicitations for donors of all levels, including coordination with vendors and staff; Oversees timelines and donor mailing lists for direct mail and email fundraising appeals, newsletters, events invitations, etc.
- Maintains organized and detailed prospective major political donor pipeline. Ensures that prospect profiles and other reports are produced as needed
- Monitors fundraising budgets to ensure adequate prospects in the pipeline to meet goals.
- Works collaboratively with a variety of staff and volunteers from Planned Parenthood organizations in Texas and nationally.
- Manages volunteers that support political donor giving activities.
- Uses development database and report writing software to retrieve data. Performs comprehensive analysis and manipulation related to all aspects of the political donor giving program. Uses statistics to evaluate current programs and to make recommendations for program changes.
- Collaborates with the Operations Manager and the Bookkeeper & Database Coordinator to maintain current records in various databases.
- Coordinates with the Operations Manager and the Bookkeeper & Database Coordinator to ensure that pledges and gifts are properly booked, expenses and reports are accurate, and acknowledgements and pledge reminders are sent in a timely manner.
- Participates in Development staff meetings.
- Assures compliance with the Board of Director’s governance policies on development as well as the standards established by the Association of Fundraising Professionals.
- Provides input relating to Development policies, systems, and procedures.
- Produces timely and accurate reports for leadership and related organizations as appropriate.
- Assures that all fundraising materials and any communication with the public maintain the highest standards of integrity and honesty.
- Builds effective and trustworthy relationships with donors, board members, staff and community leaders.
- Keeps current on changing trends in political giving and adjusts programs and strategies as needed.
- Represents the organization at meetings, community events, conferences, and fundraising, as appropriate.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing
- Comfortable with, knowledgeable of and enthusiastic about discussing topics related to sexual and reproductive health, politics and public policy.
- Bachelor's degree and at least four years of experience directly related to professional fundraising, direct marketing or related fields, including at least one year in a supervisory role. Experience in women’s issues, public policy, and/or political campaigns preferred.
- Must have excellent computer skills with knowledge of G Suite and Google-based products including Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Calendar, Gmail, and Google Meeting. Experience with EveryAction is a plus.
- Must have the willingness and ability to adapt to change including advances or new technology.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and be committed to providing the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- Must be able to travel within and outside the organization region as the job requires.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to write clear, structured, articulate written solicitations, donor materials, proposals, and acknowledgement letters
- Ability to earn the confidence of a wide range of internal and external constituents.
- Effective leadership capabilities; able to collaborate and coach team members in areas of responsibility and toward the achievement of organization goals.
- Ability to think strategically and achieve organization’s goals relating to position.
- Ability to provide oversight of compliance and regulatory requirements pertaining to position.
- Ability to manage details and complexity, to handle a variety of tasks simultaneously and to work under pressure.
- Ability to contribute in a positive and effective manner in a team setting or independently in stressful situations and at times with limited resources
- Be self-motivated, reliable, positive, willing to learn, and detail-oriented
- Must be able to speak effectively in a public or group setting.
- Requires an understanding of and commitment to quality health care and excellent customer service.
- Be discreet and safeguard confidential information.
- Possess integrity and compliance – can be relied upon to act ethically.
- Planned Parenthood Texas Votes is a fast-paced, needs-responsive environment. While office hours may be flexible, full-time employees are expected to work nontraditional hours, including evenings and weekends.
Personal Qualities/Other Attributes
A competitive candidate for the Development Director position will demonstrate the following:
- Deep appreciation for the mission of Planned Parenthood.
- A polished communicator – you are an effective storyteller, proposal writer, and ambassador.
- Gravitas and diplomatic style; high emotional intelligence.
- Collaborative work style; able to facilitate amongst diverse communities and individuals.
- Experienced in achieving agreement in a collaborative, consensus driven style; able to achieve clarity and understanding through collaboration.
- Enjoys operating in a fast-paced and demanding environment; a nimble and flexible work style.
- A direct and open interpersonal communication style.
- A smart and confident leader with a clear and informed opinion, who leads with professional integrity.
Additional Position Information
Planned Parenthood Texas Votes is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.