Research and Program Assistant
2905 South El Camino Real
About the Housing Endowment and Regional Trust (HEART) of San Mateo County
HEART is a nonprofit public/private partnership among the county, the cities, and business communities dedicated to increasing the supply of affordable housing by providing financing for the acquisition, construction and rehabilitation of affordable and workforce housing in San Mateo County. HEART also manages a first-time homebuyer loan program for moderate-income households. HEART’s work includes providing housing advisory services to cities, school districts and other potential affordable housing developers.
To conduct primary and secondary research; interpret, manage, and analyze housing and construction data to inform affordable housing investment decisions; to assist and support senior staff making investments in affordable housing developments; to assist in the administration of a first-time homebuyer loan program; to assist in the administrative work of the organization; other related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL DUTIES
Duties may include, but are not limited, to the following:
· Research, collect, and analyze data and information on various housing related programs and activities; inform and advise management, senior staff and stakeholders on housing matters; recommend changes and improvements based on research findings.
· Gather and analyze data on housing development and preservation and other related activities, prepare a variety of reports, and recommend appropriate action.
· Prepare studies, surveys and correspondence as needed.
· Assist in the administration of the organization’s first-time homebuyer program and developer loan program.
· Assist with preparation of meetings, including preparation of administrative reports to the Board of Directors and Board committees.
· Assist with the operation and administration of the organization.
· Perform other related duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required areas of knowledge:
· Strong primary and secondary research skills.
· Strong analytical skills.
· Strong writing skills (critical skill to have for this position)
· Self-driven and growth-oriented mindset, able to deliver high productivity.
· Able to multitask, prioritize, and manage time efficiently.
· Ability to work in teams
· Strong attention to detail.
· Proficiency in MS Office (especially Excel and Word).
· Ability to work equally well under supervision and independently.
Recommended but not required areas of knowledge:
· Procedures, regulations, and practices in real estate development, including financing, land acquisition, construction and rehabilitation.
· Financing programs of private institutions, including procedures, requirements, underwriting and eligibility criteria pertaining to housing production, rehabilitation and preservation.
· Principles of building, zoning, and applicable local codes.
· Principles of marketing and communications
· Collect, analyze and interpret data pertaining to housing and real estate development.
· Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
· Coordinate multiple projects and meet critical deadlines.
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
Any combination equivalent to the experience and education that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Experience in research or data analysis, housing development, community development, finance, marketing or other related real estate development experience.
Equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major work in business administration, public administration, planning, community development, urban studies, real estate development or a related field.
License or Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California driver’s license
Level of Language Proficiency
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send the following with subject heading “Research and Program Assistant” to firstname.lastname@example.org
· A cover letter
· Salary requirements (can be included in the cover letter)
· 300-500 word writing sample describing your understanding of the housing market and/or your experience securing housing in the Bay Area
Applications not including all of the above information will not be considered.