The New York Foundling (the "Foundling") is one of the oldest, largest and most well-respected human services agencies in New York. Established as a home for abandoned children, the Foundling has been saving children, preserving families, and building communities since 1869. The Foundling's focus is on child welfare and the developmentally disabled and creating a community where each child, youth and adult enjoys the safe, stable and support relationships needed to reach his or her full physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual potential. We have over 1300 employees located in every borough of New York City, Westchester and Rockland Counties and in Puerto Rico.
We are currently looking to for a Staff Interpreter/Case Aide to support our Deaf Services Department, which services clients throughout the 5 boroughs.
The Staff Interpreter/Case Aide is responsible for providing various interpretation and/or transliteration services for Deaf Services program staff. Also responsible for community advocacy tasks including teaching clients how to access and negotiate the Entitlement System, including but not limited to Medicaid, SSI, Public Assistance, and NYC Public Housing.
1. Facilitate communication through use of sign language, spoken English, cultural mediation and knowledge of visual accessibility.
2. Provide interpreting services within professional settings, community outreach events, internal staff meetings, etc. for and between D/deaf or hard of hearing staff members
3. Assist with scheduling interpreters; maintaining appointment calendars and coordinating with
external support agencies, (including ACS Office of Preventive Technical Assistance and ASLI)
4. Serve as technical and information resource related to sign language interpretation
5. Conduct regular community outreach and program promotion events throughout NYC
6. Coordinate with Case Planner and Client, the implementation of Client’s Service Plan, related to accessing and negotiating the Entitlement system in New York City
7. Teach client how to obtain and/or utilize appropriate community resources (e.g. Public Assistance, SSI), as described in individuals’ services plan
8. Complete monthly requests of updated educational and medical records for all active clients
9. Attend Departmental Staff Meetings, Trainings, etc.
10. Attend Case Management Reviews, Family Team Conferences, clinical consultations, etc.
11. Enter data into PROMIS system, recording face to face contacts with clients
12. Write Progress Notes in CONNECTIONS and EVOLV, documenting contacts with clients as deemed appropriate
13. Special projects and other duties as needed
· BA/BS degree required.
· Successful completion of the written portion of the RID (National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf) certification exam or successful completion of the EIPA (Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment) with a score of 3.5 or higher
· Successful completion of an Interpreter Training Program
· Must be a fluent ASL and English user
· Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and be flexible; ability to work independently and cooperatively
· Strong organizational, leadership and teamwork abilities
· Prior experience in working with Deaf individuals (adults and children)
Level of Language Proficiency
Must be a fluent ASL and English user
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
The Foundling offers an excellent comprehensive benefits package, including PTO, tuition reimbursement, in-service training, flexible work schedules and competitive salaries. We invite you to join our dedicated & diverse workforce by applying on our website at www.nyfoundling.org/about/jobs/. The position is listed as Case Aid/Interpreter, req #18-0639.