Details: Competitive, commensurate with experience.
8711 MacArthur Blvd.
Position Title: Mental Health Clinician
Reports To: Program Director within Health & Wellness Department
Status: FULL TIME, EXEMPT, BENEFITED
About Youth UpRising
Youth UpRising (YU) exists to build healthy, economically robust communities in East Oakland and the surrounding county by harnessing the leadership of young people, improving the systems that most impact their lives and advancing community development.
Since opening in 2005, YU has gone from eight to nearly eighty staff, emerging as East Oakland’s leading community transformation engine, praised as a national model by Attorney General Eric Holder in 2010. Housed in what was once an abandoned supermarket, YU is now a 25,000 square-foot state-of-the-art community transformation center annually serving about 3000 unduplicated Alameda County youth, ages 13-24. With a campus that includes an onsite health clinic, an internet café and a multimedia center, YU offers core programming in three areas: career and education, health and wellness, and art and expression. YU also operates a social enterprise hub that creates jobs and provides industry-specific training in high-growth sectors that facilitate a young person’s transition into the workforce and nurture career opportunity.
While YU’s mission is to cultivate community transformation, East Oakland is at the epicenter of the violence and poverty shaping the poor outcomes and disparaging perceptions plaguing Oakland and Alameda County. Yet Youth UpRising’s work is grounded in the belief that by providing comprehensive services and supports for the community’s most at-risk young people and engaging them as partners in improving the community, we can create healthy eco-systems that can change the place without displacing the people.
For more information about Youth UpRising go to: www.youthuprising.org
Youth UpRising offers the successful candidate an opportunity to join a dynamic organization with a compelling mission and a successful track record of attracting, engaging and serving a high-risk population in strategies for personal, professional and community transformation.
In joining YU’s staff, the successful candidate will become part of a high-performing, warm, diverse team that includes people indigenous to the community, those who are deeply committed to social change, and youth within our target population who help to keep the organization attuned to the current realities of youth culture.
The new Mental Health Clinician (MHC) will be positioned for success and ongoing professional growth as YU develops the programs and practices that positions us as a national leader in youth leadership development and urban community transformation.
Mental Health Clinician – Position Summary
The Mental Health Clinician will provide comprehensive and culturally-accessible mental health services to youth ages 13-24. This position requires a commitment and dedication to the community at large and a passion for working with inner city youth. The therapist reports to the Health & Wellness Director and serves a diverse population of youth, supporting the fulfillment of the mission and vision of Youth UpRising within our core operating values.
Direct Services and Programming
- Provide individual, family, and group therapy utilizing a variety of theoretical orientations.
- Provide community member wellness checks and drop-in clinical support.
- Deliver services according to TAY WELLNESS program contract.
- Provide crisis intervention.
- Assess mental health needs; develop and implement treatment plans containing goals that are mutually agreed upon.
- Update and evaluate the effectiveness and appropriateness of treatment plans.
- Advocate for young people as they navigate the educational, justice, and other systems.
- Participate in multidisciplinary case conferences and other forums where consultation on adolescent and young adult mental health issues are provided.
- Participate in outreach activities in order to promote mental health services.
- Support in-service trainings for non-clinical staff.
- Participate in center-wide programming, events, activities, and retreats.
- Maintain documentation requirements and data tracking standards (CANS/ANSA-T, etc).
- Coordinate services with case management.
- Support opportunities for collaborations with other YU departments.
- Partner with Children’s Hospital of Oakland/Castlemont Clinic Wellness, to support the overall wellness of YU members.
- Support coordination of services among mental health and other providers through collaboration and consultation.
- Act as liaison to Castlemont Community, OUSD and Alameda County as needed.
Qualification and Competency Requirements
Positional Competencies – required for our Mental Health Therapist
- MENTAL HEALTH EXPERIENCE – 3-5 years’ experience working as a mental health therapist, including experience working with inner city youth. Eligible to gain license. Masters’ degree in social work, psychology, counseling or a related field.
- FIELD KNOWLEDGE - Knowledge of Alameda County community agencies and resources for adolescents and families is a plus.
- MOBILITY including reliable transportation, a valid California Driver’s License and current automobile insurance.
- AVAILABILITY for some evening and weekend work.
- BILINGUAL Spanish/English speaker is a plus.
- LEADERSHIP - Visionary • Articulates goals and objectives and their value • Acts as a positive catalyst for change • Models desired behaviors • Able to inspire and organize others • Builds on strengths and facilitates growth in areas of weakness • Seeks input, assesses risks and makes decisions • Problem-solving approach to challenges •
- PATIENCE - Able to maintain composure and endure under difficult circumstances • Compassionate, especially regarding long-term challenges • Able to withhold judgment/conclusion and take time to inquire into the causes of a situation • Able to manage expectations and measure success over the long-haul •
- INSIGHT/DISCERNMENT - Able to acutely observe and insightfully perceive a situation and/or character • Emotionally intelligent and able to reflect on feelings, motives and needs • Demonstrates good instincts regarding long-term impact and implications •
- PROFESSIONALISM - Adheres to the highest ethical and organizational standards • Best-practice approach to work • Dependability, rooted in a reliable continuity of presence, principles and actions • Continuously seeks excellence in what we do and how we do it •
- SENSE OF HUMOR - Able to be real • Able to see the lighter side of difficult situations • Ready to laugh
- MOTIVATIONAL POWER - Able to articulate goals, build excitement and motivate others to do their best • Able to move people beyond their comfort zone and inspire them to take strategic risks • Elicits other people’s realization of their maximum potential • Motivates people to be phenomenal team members • Instills a sense of ownership and investment in the larger vision • Delegates and builds the leadership of others • Inspires others to go ‘over and above’ and feel good about it •
Core Competencies Require of All YU Employees
- HIGH PERFORMANCE - Strong work ethic • Results oriented • High energy • High integrity • Reliability • Committed to Excellence • Takes initiative and gets things done • Demonstrated success in an entrepreneurial setting, with the ability to think strategically while executing tactically within a resource-constrained environment.
- ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS - Detail oriented • Tracks results • Demonstrates good work habits • Effectively uses their and other people’s time • Comes to tasks/meetings well prepared • Has basic computer skills • Develops efficient systems, processes and tools •
- FLEXIBILITY - Adapts to new information or circumstances • Willing to wear many ‘hats’ to get the job done • Creative in troubleshooting and finding solutions • Able to flourish in a fluid environment •
- POSITIVE ATTITUDE - Able to maintain composure, hope and a sense of humor amid challenges • Able to remain positive and see solutions among difficult issues • Stamina • Able to manage and diffuse stress •
- SOCIAL SKILLS - Able to work with a variety of people • Able to communicate with respect and clarity • Open to different viewpoints • Able to disagree without animosity • Self-aware • Compassionate • Collaborative • Able to give and receive candid feedback • A role model •
- CRITICAL THINKING - Thinks interdependently, framing the goals of one department/project within the entire vision • Sees current issues and challenges within a broad framework • Makes decisions that have the greatest long and short term positive impact • Thinks ‘outside the box’ – beyond given paradigms • Able to access resources (money, people) to advance solutions • Able to reflect on and improve both content and delivery • Open to developing awareness of the structural factors (socioeconomic context) impacting our communities •
Start Date: Immediate Opportunity. Applications accepted until position is filled.
Compensation: Competitive, commensurate with experience. Full benefits package.
How to Apply: E-mail resume, cover letter, and four professional references to email@example.com. Include “MHC – [Your Name]” in the subject line.
Youth UpRising is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Youth UpRising strives to reflect the diverse community it serves. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
Full benefits package.
Level of Language Proficiency
BILINGUAL Spanish/English speaker is a plus.
Minimum Education Required