160 Clairemont Avenue
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time; Exempt
RESPONSIBILITY: The Development Specialist provides support to ensure the recognition and cultivation of donors to the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship. The position helps grow both individual and church giving and works in partnership with the Director of Development to increase income to general contributions and the Offering for Global Missions. The Development Specialist is responsible for effectively and accurately collecting and managing donor data within the Fellowship’s database system.
REPORTS TO: Director of Development, Martha Perusek
RELATES TO: All CBF staff and constituents
SUPERVISES: Volunteers; contractors, as required
- Ensure that donors to CBF receive gracious, timely and appropriate thank you letters and acknowledgments for their gifts and that all gift fulfillment (tribute cards/letters and other follow up) is complete.
- Write donor letters and email responders for online gifts and create other donor communications and presentations.
- Identify special gifts for the Director of Development to coordinate additional follow up and stewardship activities (special letters from the Executive Coordinator, contact by Governing Board member, etc.).
- Contact and develop relationships with church finance and other staff to ensure accuracy of giving and timely receipt of gifts.
- In partnership with the Communications team, write and develop content on development-related issues for the CBF blog and other channels.
- Collect and manage constituent data in Raiser’s Edge in collaboration with other CBF staff teams.
- Initiate thank you calls and other contacts with both individual donors and churches.
- Recruit and oversee students and volunteers, as appropriate. Make and help coordinate church outreach contacts for Offering for Global Missions (OGM).
- Generate reports on churches and other constituents for CBF staff speaking in churches and for other relationships.
- Partner with Global Missions and Ministries to identify stories for usage in appeals, social media and other channels.
- Oversee the accuracy of constituent addresses.
- Follow up on OGM orders and track and facilitate outreach to churches who have not ordered materials.
- Facilitate and plan with Director of Development special events at General Assembly and other donor events.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including mailings, responding to donor and constituent requests and other tasks.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or higher in nonprofit administration, communications, business or related fields
- 3+ years of experience in donor development, business or communications in a faith-based or other nonprofit setting or in higher education
- Experience working with annual giving and/or other church or community-based campaigns
- “Sales” orientation with an ability to proactively reach out to churches and individuals
- Highly detail oriented with a commitment to accuracy and excellence
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong customer service orientation
- Knowledge of church structures and organization
- Excellent problem-solving ability
- Proficiency in Raiser’s Edge or other CRM solution highly desired
- Experience in volunteer, event and project management preferred
- Experience with websites, social media, email and print campaigns
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion; strong ethical character capable of handling confidential and financial information
- Proven history of effectively functioning in a team setting
COMMITMENT: Cooperative Baptist Fellowship is a fellowship of Baptist Christians and churches who share a passion for the Great Commission of Jesus Christ and a commitment to Baptist principles of faith and practice. The work of this position exists to further this CBF commitment.
To apply for the Development Specialist position, please submit your cover letter and resume to Martha Perusek at email@example.com with the subject line "Development Specialist Application".
Full benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, and excellent retirement.
Minimum Education Required