“It always seems impossible until it’s done.” - Nelson Mandela
We believe that even the biggest problems can be broken down into small, achievable steps. Poverty and access to justice are part of the same problem. And to solve this, we just need to discover what the steps are.
At Open Door Legal (ODL), we’re pioneering the country’s first system of universal access to civil legal representation to dramatically reduce poverty and prove that the law really can belong to all of us.
To achieve this ambitious goal, we’ve created an award-winning and best-in-class legal aid organization full of passionate, motivated, gritty, thoughtful, and team-oriented people.
We believe that injustice is the heart of poverty and we're looking for someone to join us in having a systemic impact on how we, as a society, ensure justice for all.
Overview of Position:
It is the privilege of our development team to communicate with donors and other stakeholders. We tell compelling and authentic stories about our clients and about our vision in order to build empathy and move people to action. In this role, you will talk directly to clients to discover the best stories to tell, and then write or direct the content that tells those stories across channels, including on our website, email, during our gala, on social media, via live testimony, and more. Experience and insight into managing our presence across these mediums are highly desired. Overall, the strategic goal of this position is to increase the number of donors excited by and supporting our work.
We encourage you to view some of our stories on our website and YouTube pages before applying.
- Conduct interviews with clients to understand and draft authentic stories
- Design, plan, and execute marketing campaigns using email and social, among other media
- Oversee the production of our gala, including all talent, creative, and technical aspects
- Spearhead video direction/production for campaigns and events
- Manage relationships with contractors, videographers, and interns
- Manage our marketing automation and ad accounts
- Maintain and update our website, including periodically designing and implementing new pages or re-designs of existing pages. (Our website is built on Wordpress using the divi framework)
- Photograph staff, clients, and volunteers for our internal and external media outlets
- Design and manage the production of our print collateral, including business cards
- Maintain press connections and generate earned media about our work
- Demonstrated persistence and resourcefulness; must love a challenge!
- Entrepreneurial mindset that is excited to own and grow a diverse set of marketing channels
- Must genuinely enjoy and be motivated by working with and on behalf of low-income clients, many of whom are people of color, and be able to work effectively with clients impacted by trauma (emotional, mental, and physical)
- Experience with or interest in learning graphic design
- Commitment to working cooperatively with the larger development team
- Excellent creative nonfiction writing skills
- Strong time and project management skills
- Ability to effectively work with and manage volunteers
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to self-learning and professional development
- A true belief in the power of personal generosity and philanthropy
- Must be willing to make a minimum two-year commitment to the organization
- Experience running marketing campaigns and familiarity with marketing automation tools (Autopilot, TK, TK - maybe list a few examples?)
- Experience with videography, video production, or direction
- Experience designing websites, including copywriting, UX design, and CSS.
- Experience with graphic design and page layout, including working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, In-Design, Lightroom (or equivalents)
- Experience in journalism or with drafting long-form stories
- Experience in public relations working with the press
- Experience with event planning
- Having lived a significant period of your life in San Francisco proper.
- Proficient in Spanish
Compensation for this role starts at $70,000 annually.
- Loan Repayment Assistance - for staff pursuing 10-year public interest debt forgiveness, we will pay the minimum payment on all qualifying loans so that you don’t need to worry about student loan debt (this is a conditional benefit).
- Medical/Dental/Vision Plan offerings at 100% coverage
- Generous paid time off
- Flexible work hours
- Generous paid parental leave
- 401K/Retirement Account
- We believe everyone is always learning. We financially invest in individual learning plans for each staff member and provide many internal and external mentorships, coaching, and learning opportunities (conferences, workshops, etc.).
- We are a fun and hard-working office with best-in-class technology solutions for anyone who’s passionate about making a meaningful and measurable difference.
Open Door Legal is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal records, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local law.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at whitney [at] opendoorlegal [dot] org.
Black Lives Matter
Applications received before February 1, 2021 will be prioritized.