Details: Commensurate with experience
About Data & Society
Founded in 2013, Data & Society is a NYC-based independent research institute. We operate as a dynamic intellectual nonprofit with strong recognition in the technology, academic, and policy sectors. Our work advances public understanding of the social and cultural implications of data-centric technologies and automation. Through interdisciplinary research and engagement, we work to ensure that knowledge guides development and governance of technology.
About the Director of Development
We are recruiting for an energetic Director of Development (“DoD”), a new role at Data & Society. The DoD will report to the Executive Director and will support the ED, Founder/President and Board in all aspects of building a sustainable organization. This is a spectacular opportunity to work with timely, impactful material and help lead a young, growing organization as it expands from its roots in New York City.
The Director of Development will develop and implement a strategy for both short-term and long-term organizational sustainability. Data & Society is committed to continuing its strong track record of rigorous empirical research, while growing new engagement efforts to ensure that this knowledge reaches those shaping the development and governance of technology.
The DoD will bring significant experience in fundraising from a range of sources, including foundations, individuals, and academic/government funds. They will also have been involved in conceptualizing and directing a wide variety of fundraising tactics, from capital campaigns to public solicitations to creative events.
In addition to relationship management, the DoD will be responsible for developing and implementing policy and process around fundraising at the organization, including educating and supporting the staff, Board, and leadership with best-in-class resources, tools, and approaches. They will coordinate closely with other directors to ensure consistent communication and programming around Data & Society’s rich body of work.
· Planning, implementing and directing a strategy for organizational sustainability for Data & Society, taking into account both immediate and longer-term goals;
· Building the development function at Data & Society across the organization, working closely with ED, Board, founder, and colleagues to put in place norms, policy, and process.
· Directing all giving campaigns and donor research efforts; coordinating fundraising efforts and messaging across Data & Society.
· Overseeing donor relationships, supporting ED and founder in maintaining and building relationships with donors in some cases, and owning relationships in others;
· Developing and overseeing programming and special events to advance sustainability goals;
· Overseeing implementation of a CRM/tracking system such as Raisers’ Edge or similar to manage fundraising relationships;
· Working with Grants Manager to oversee proposal and report development with input from across the organization;
· Developing and implementing a strategy for regular funder communications and relationship management, in consultation with organizational leadership and Communications team;
· Contributing to inspiring fundraising narratives and creating development resources, tools, templates and training for Board, leadership, and staff;
· Overseeing development, launch and distribution of annual report.
· 10 years of progressive experience in development or development-related role;
· Strong networks in relevant communities;
· Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and verbal and written communication skills;
· Knowledge of Raiser's Edge or similar relationship management tool.
- This is a bicoastal role that involves significant travel. The successful candidate should have the ability to spend time in both Data & Society’s New York headquarters and in the Bay AreaAnnual
- Salary is commensurate with experience, and you will be offered a generous benefits package and paid time off.
- You must be eligible to work in the United States. We are unable to sponsor visas.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit the following to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis through November 23, 2018 :
· A cover letter explaining your interest in this role, how you learned about this opportunity, your background in development work, and why you would be a good fit for this position.
· Your resume/CV
· Please include the name, affiliation, and contact information for three professional references