45 Wadsworth Avenue
Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC) is a community-based, not-for-profit organization founded in 1979. NMIC has grown into a leading multi-service agency with over 120 staff members serving New York City with a focus on upper Manhattan and the Bronx. Our mission is to serve as a catalyst for positive change in the lives of the people in our community on their paths to secure and prosperous futures. Integration is the cornerstone of NMIC’s programs and our staff can identify and address a broad array of immediate needs through comprehensive crisis intervention services. With their matters resolved, clients move seamlessly to capacity building services through our holistic programs designed to transition individuals and families to self-sufficiency.
- Our Legal Services, Social Services and Weatherization programs meet community members’ basic needs including legal representation in immigration related matters, housing, financial services and health related matters.
- Our Community Organizing program empowers residents to collectively secure long term and larger scale improvements to their basic needs.
- Our Education & Career Services program imparts individual community members with the practical tools necessary to build secure and prosperous futures.
Job Title: Communications Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Development
Location: Main Office: 45 Wadsworth Avenue, New York, N.Y. 10033
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Communications Coordinator is the staff lead for designing and executing all agency communication materials including digital and physical content. In close collaboration with the executive team, the Communications Coordinator will also contribute to fundraising activities designed for individual and corporate donors and will support fundraising events, solicitation mailings, and other fundraising activities. Additional related responsibilities may be assigned.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, implement, and maintain an agency style guide and appropriate templates to ensure high quality and consistent communication agency-wide.
- Design and provide copy for select printed materials distributed by NMIC including agency-wide materials (e.g., annual report, agency brochure, promotional items, etc.) and individual program materials (e.g., program flyers, registration forms, etc.).
- Maintain and update all agency digital content including social media, e-blasts, blog, and website.
- Contribute to overall agency-wide communications plan design and execution.
- Maintain archival material on the departmental drive
- Support long-term rebranding efforts
- Communicate regularly with program experts to keep current on programmatic developments and, from these discussions, identify opportunities for external communications.
- Support additional communications activities as assigned based on need. These activities may include annual event support, fundraising activity planning, visitor experience design (e.g., signage), etc.
Additional related responsibilities may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and at least two years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven graphic design experience including advanced competency in standard graphic design software packages.
- Familiarity with HTML, CSS, and WordPress publishing platform a plus.
- Prior experience with CRM and email marketing software a plus.
- Advanced verbal and written communications skills.
- Uncompromising attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize and meet competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of the needs of different audiences and platforms.
- Flexibility in scheduling, including the ability to work occasional evenings or weekends in accordance with the scheduling of programs and events, is required.
NMIC IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
NMIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages candidates of diverse backgrounds to apply for employment. Applicants must meet the minimum qualification requirements. A combination of education and experience will be considered unless specifically stated otherwise.
NMIC offers a competitive salary based on experience and education as well as a comprehensive and generous benefits package: medical, dental, life, and disability insurance are included; paid time off, including 20 vacation days, 15 sick days, 5 personal days, and 12 agency holidays; a 401k with agency contribution; and other benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual (English/Spanish) language ability is strongly preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please address all applications to Rosanna Montilla-Payano, Director of Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line and include the following:
- Cover letter
- Graphic design sample(s)
- Writing sample(s)
- Salary requirements
All attachments must be submitted in Word or PDF format. No telephone calls, please.