Amber Charter Schools provide our students with an academically rigorous and well-rounded education, along with strong character development, enabling them to prosper in their future endeavors.
By 2025, the ACS network will serve over 2000 students across three NYC neighborhoods.
- Amber Charter School East Harlem was founded in 2000 as the first Latino-led charter school in New York State. It currently serves 500 K-5 students.
- Amber Charter School Kingsbridge opened in 2016 and serves 466 K-5 students, and will grow to serve 840 K-8.
- Amber Charter School Inwood will open with 200 K-1 students in 2021, and grow to serve 923 K-8 students.
Spanish Teacher, ACS Kingsbridge MS
Start Date: September 2021
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters Degree in the field of education preferred.
Certification and License: NYS Spanish Middle Childhood (Grades 5-9) or Generalist in Middle School Childhood Education (Grades 5-9) with Spanish Extension (Grades 5-9) teaching certification required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Specials teachers plan and deliver rigorous and engaging instruction, comprehensively assess student learning, create safe and responsive learning environments. All ACS schools offer Spanish, art, physical education and music, providing our students with creative and innovative avenues to learn, discover and express themselves.
Plan and Deliver Rigorous and Engaging Instruction
- Assume personal responsibility for the academic progress of all students.
- Implement a coherent, research-based curriculum, aligned to content and grade level specific scope and sequence guiding documents.
- Document all syllabi, lesson plans, assignments, rubrics and other instructional materials and methods.
- Use consistent school-wide practices and a variety of individualized methods to engage students in the classroom.
- Modify, differentiate and extend learning experiences to engage all students with disabilities, and integrate Instructional Education Plan (IEP) recommendations as appropriate.
- Modify, differentiate and extend learning experiences to engage all ELL students.
- Implement various methods to promote a student-led and student-centered classroom.
Comprehensively Assess Student Learning
- Track student proficiency and progress towards achieving learning objectives with formative and summative assessment tools.
- Analyze assessment results, utilizing data to inform and adjust instruction.
- Provide ongoing and timely feedback to students on their progress towards meeting expectations and achieving goals
- Use student data to reflect on effectiveness of lessons in order to improve instruction and personal practice
Create a Safe and Responsive Learning Environment
- Teach and encourage the development of the AMBER core values.
- Develop and maintain a warm and firm learning environment that allows students to feel safe, take risks and be creative.
- Establish, model, practice and reinforce developmentally-appropriate rules and behaviors using clear and consistent procedures
- Formulate and implement behavioral management plans with individual students as needed
- Build positive and supportive partnerships with families.
- Communicate with families frequently and effectively, to provide them with information about instructional programs and student progress (report cards, parent/teacher conferences, etc.), maximize participation and respond to their concerns.
Contribute to a Collaborative and Cohesive Staff Learning Community
- Model life-long learning through professional development and individual growth activities.
- Show evidence of utilizing constructive feedback to enhance the quality of learning experiences for students.
- Demonstrate teamwork, actively modeling cooperation and helpfulness for students.
- Engage in respectful and critical dialogue to contribute to the school’s evolution.
- Maintain optimism and flexibility throughout the year.
- Encourage and support the growth of colleagues.
- Serve on school based committees.
The classroom teacher may also assume other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Principal or his/her/their designee.
Reports to the Principal or his/her/their designee.
We are seeking candidates with the following experience, competencies and assets:
- Minimum of 2 years experience as an effective, impactful classroom teacher.
- Familiarity with high-quality curriculum programs, and grade/developmental expectations for specific content areas:
- NYS LOTE World Language Learning Standards/ACTFL World-Readiness Standards for Learning Languages, Foreign Language in the Elementary School (FLES) program, AVANT STAMP 4SE proficiency benchmarks
- Comfort with remote learning systems (e.g. Google Classroom, on-line curriculum platforms).
- Strong command of all Microsoft Office and Google Suite programs.
- A deep love of learning and expertise in your content area.
- An unwavering commitment to teaching and importing passion, skills and knowledge to students.
- A high degree of comfort and confidence planning and implementing rigorous, engaging and effective instruction.
- Able to employ approaches that address multiple types of learners (visual, sensory, kinesthetic, audio).
- Commitment to create and maintain a safe and responsive learning environment.
- Capacity to develop strong relationships based on trust, respect, effective communication, and common goals.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple obligations and initiatives, strong attention to detail and excellent time management.
- Alignment to the Amber Charter Schools mission and core values.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters Degree in the field of education preferred.
- NYS Spanish Middle Childhood (Grades 5-9) or Generalist in Middle School Childhood Education (Grades 5-9) with Spanish Extension (Grades 5-9) teaching certification required.
- Spanish-speaking preferred.