Senior Housing Developer
About Bellwether Housing
Bellwether is the largest private nonprofit owner and operator of affordable housing in the Seattle area and employs over 120 people. We accomplish our mission –creating stable communities and access to opportunity through affordable housing – through three primary activities: developing and managing affordable housing for people with limited incomes across the greater Puget Sound, coordinating social and health services for our more vulnerable tenants, and advocating for resources to increase housing affordability throughout our region.
About the Real Estate Development Team
To address Seattle’s affordable housing crisis, Bellwether plans to develop and acquire over 1,000 units of affordable housing by 2023, increasing our portfolio of affordable apartments by 50%. During this time of significant growth, the Real Estate Development team will be developing innovative projects that boldly expand the size, scope, and complexity of our projects. We are focusing on large-scale, transit oriented developments (TOD) that situate our residents within easy access of public transit, job centers, services, and amenities. Upcoming projects include joint development partnerships, Seattle's first affordable high rise in over 50 years, family-oriented mixed-use TOD projects near light rail and transit, representing our largest scale buildings to date. These projects will give us opportunity to expand our capacity by studying sustainable building systems, calculating right-sizing parking, and tackling new construction types.
In addition to developing portfolio projects for Bellwether, the Real Estate Development team also offers development consulting services to other nonprofits in the greater Seattle area to amplify the impact of our work.
The real development estate team is a thoughtful, good-humored, strategic, and highly experienced group of development and construction management professionals. The team's multi-disciplinary backgrounds include architecture, urban planning, commercial development, construction management, public financing, social services, and the arts. We're deeply committed to affordable housing development, always looking for innovative, creative solutions. We're serious about ongoing professional development and training for staff to continually build professional expertise.
About the Position
The Senior Housing Developer will be expected to bring expertise and leadership to a diverse range of projects from large-scale, mixed-use urban projects to small developments for special needs populations.
This is an opportunity to join a strong and innovative housing organization that has long been a leader within the nonprofit development community. It is also an opportunity to work within a collegial professional community of other high performing nonprofit housing development organizations and within a political environment that has been very supportive of affordable housing development
· Manage all project development stages, including feasibility, design, due diligence, community outreach, production of development and operating budgets and other financial analyses, management of construction management, and cost certification.
· Understand and stay informed of changes in development climate, real estate market, and the policies and politics affecting affordable housing finance and development.
· Establish and maintain positive relationships with existing and potential consulting clients throughout Washington State as well as well brokers, land sellers, investors, public and private lenders, and other funding sources.
· Solicit and negotiate terms of acquisitions and financings.
· Actively participate in local and state-wide consortia and interest groups relevant to affordable housing development and finance.
· Work collaboratively with other development team members and clients to ensure high quality projects that meet the needs of Bellwether, the community, and our clients.
Please send a cover letter describing your relevant experience and your interest in this position, along with a current resume to:
· Expertise in complex real estate development and financing mechanisms for affordable housing, including tax-exempt bond financing, low income housing tax credits, property tax exemptions, and other public and private funding sources.
· Experience negotiating investment and financing terms, purchase and sale agreements, construction contracts, and other similar agreements.
· Proven ability to manage multiple projects.
· Ability to produce reliable and thorough development and operating budgets, and longer term financial analyses of affordable housing transactions.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Bachelor’s Degree in real estate development, architecture, urban planning, finance, or related field.
· 5+ years of multi-family housing development experience.
Hours: M-F, 8-5
Benefits: If you’re working over 20 hour per week you can accrue 24 days of PTO in your first year. We have a 403(b)-retirement plan with employer matching after 15 months of service and we offer a health reimbursement plan to employees and dependents. We have flexible spending accounts, STD/LTD, life insurance, and commuter benefits.
Minimum Education Required