Launch EL Charter School is part of a network of 14 EL Education (formerly Expeditionary Learning) and NYC Outward Bound schools in New York City and is the NYC network’s first charter school. EL is a proven educational model being implemented in over 150 district, charter and independent schools across the country. Launch's mission is to prepare students in under-resourced communities to thrive in college and careers by providing a public education rooted in active learning experiences and powerful character development. We believe that students at all levels can be pushed and supported to do more than they think possible.
As an EL school, We believe that when a student is done with school and enters adult life, she will be judged for the rest of her life not by her performance on tests of basic skills, but by the quality of her work and the quality of her character. Our vision of student achievement therefore has three dimensions: Mastery of Academic Skills and Content, High-Quality Work, and Character.
Launch is seeking middle school teachers with a track record of success to join a highly motivated, curious, intelligent, and passionate staff of educators under the EL Education model, an approach that believes in creating classrooms where learning is “challenging, active, meaningful, character driven, and public.”
The ideal candidate will model our Launch Habits of Responsibility:
- Integrity and Stewardship – Always works to do what is best and right for our community. Inspires confidence in others through consistent honesty and care.
- Kindness and Collaboration – Make others feel like they belong through demonstrating empathy and care
- Imagination and Spirit – Demonstrates an unyielding belief that we can accomplish our goals
- Dedication and Practice – Uses each minute to support our mission and reflects on actions with a focus on continuous improvement
The ideal candidate will believe:
- All students can achieve at high levels
- Families are essential partners for teachers
- Ongoing feedback strengthens performance and outcomes
At Launch teachers:
- Prioritize student voice in co-creating a joyful, collaborative, and active classroom community
- Support all students to produce high quality work that leads to mastery of standards
- Strive to create an equitable classroom space
- Ground their practice in data and constantly collect quantitative and qualitative data to track student progress and adapt pedagogy
- Implement meaningful, rigorous lessons that require students think critically and reflect on their progress
At Launch you will:
(Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following.)
- Develop all students across EL Education’s three dimensions of student achievement: Mastery of Knowledge and Skills, Character, and High Quality Work.
- Utilize EL Education’s approach to planning and delivering high-quality instruction to teach 3 sections of Social Studies each day
- Differentiate instruction using the most appropriate co-teaching model in ICT classes to ensure that all students achieve mastery of learning targets
- Collaborate with colleagues to plan, analyze data, and engage in department team meetings and/or professional growth opportunities (i.e. coaching) to support outstanding instruction
- Assume a high level of personal responsibility for the progress of all students by tracking and monitoring progress and growth on a daily, weekly and quarterly basis
- Plan for and teach a data-driven reading class called Reading Zone using common schoolwide structures and materials
- Establish and maintain consistent classroom expectations and routines in a self-managed, student-centered classroom
- Regularly showcase high-quality current student work to promote a culture of achievement on displays inside and outside the classroom
- Maintain a classroom space that is organized, welcoming, celebratory and promotes student achievement in all three dimensions
- Develop character by modeling, teaching and supporting students to demonstrate our Habits of Heart and Mind
- Lead an advisory group called Crew using common school-wide structures and materials
- Prepare students to lead Student-Led Conferences and/or Passages
- Maintain strong relationships with students and their families
- Help maintain strong school culture in public spaces throughout the school by fulfilling assigned duties
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong understanding of common core middle school Social Studies standards and the desire to develop exceptional pedagogical content knowledge in Social Studies instruction
- Unwavering commitment to Launch’s mission and to the EL Education model
- Exceptional ability to demonstrate our Habits of Responsibility in every aspect of their work
- Exceptional ability to develop and maintain productive and collaborative relationships
- Middle school experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred)
- Teaching experience in an urban setting preferred
- Valid State Certification (MANDATORY)
Compensation: Highly competitive and commensurate with experience, along with a full benefits package.
Launch is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any individual or group for reasons of race, color, creed, sex, age, culture, national origin, marital status, sexual preference or mental or physical disability.