Details: Competitive, based on experience
About the Role
The Senior Director of Product Management is responsible for stewarding the implementation of the portfolio of technologies (both internal and 3rd party) that power Teach To One: Math (also referred to as our model or the program) in a holistic manner that represents and actualizes all of the design solutions being currently developed by the program team while anticipating and accounting for the potential future evolution of the model and the organization. Key to this work will be to ensure that these solutions address stated challenges and objectives including balancing and maximizing priorities such as quality, time to completion, scope, resources, etc.
This role will play a key role in strategically connecting the work across our program teams--and in particular between the technical and non technical teams. In addition to working closely with members of Central Program Integration (PMO), the Sr. Director, Product Management will partner with a variety of roles across the org, including the Technical Design, Software Engineering, Production Engineering, and Program Framework (design) teams.
The role will report directly to the Chief Program Officer with its work efforts being managed and directed by the Central Program Integration team, of which this role will be a member. The Senior Director of Product Management for New Classrooms is a highly unique opportunity to play a critical role in helping to realize the evolution of a personalized learning model that is being successfully implemented nationwide. Qualified candidates for this role will be excited and able to bring their product management and technical know-how to bear on this challenge.
About the Team
The Central Program Integration (CPI) department coordinates and manages the program wing’s centrally focused work streams to ensure that all centrally focused work is aligned with the organization’s strategic plan in order to support the achievement of the organization’s goals. This includes the management of cross functional projects, triage, releases, SLAs and resources. CPI connects the Program Wing’s central activities by understanding the vision and goals of the Program Design and Analysis division (R&D), working in partnership with the Technology Division to create/develop and support the products and tools that bring that vision to life, and working closely with the Program Delivery division to make sure the program and products are implemented as expected and supported as needed.
What You Would Do
- Serve as a bridge between the CPI and Technology teams, ensuring successful collaboration and problem solving to meet Program Wing and organization objectives
- Support the CPI work of planning & analysis, especially by translating complex technical ideas and concepts
- Evaluate solutions against a set of sometimes competing expectations, including quality level, timeline, impact on product health, program design goals, project objectives, and impact on operations or other product areas
- Provide a quality control check for solution requirements to ensure that SLAs are being accounted for and to ensure that there are no missed requirements
Actualization & Workstream Management
- Support workstream managers in using secondary and flex drivers to change product solutions in order to hit primary drivers and objectives
- Drive the investigation of what’s technically or operationally possible before we decide which paths to head down for a variety of types of work
- Ensure that the goals of a given program feature are being realized technically and operationally once they have gone into execution
- Check for the understanding of the bigger global program picture so that a given solution factors in other priorities and developments
- Factor in the uncertain future and manage risk: asking questions like “will taking one technical direction cut off five directions for the future”
- You are someone with impeccable communication skills, both written and verbal, who enjoys sharing and clarifying information
- You are a fast learner: quick on the uptake + able to quickly apply those learnings
- You like to apply your creativity toward solving really complex puzzles
- You are someone who enjoys straddling the space between technology development and business/program needs and can move fluidly between the language of business and strategy, and the language of technology development
- You are good at finding the common ground between two competing or disparate points of view--even when those are held by highly passionate and intelligent individuals
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and when necessary, you can quickly grasp the abstract and turn it into concrete
- While not an engineering expert, you understand enough about the software development process to work with business analysts and engineers to develop alternative pathways to success
- You are comfortable working in a consulting type role, working with an array of people from various departments, and bringing them together to achieve a common goal without directly managing them
- You can be assertive and direct without being obnoxious or off-putting
- 7+ years of business analysis, product management or software engineering experience preferred (along with willingness to learn the other domain areas)
- Demonstrated success collaborating with and influencing a diverse group of cross-disciplinary stakeholders
- Understanding of the K-12 education space
- Knowledge of technical components and how they interact with each other and ability to discuss these with engineers and other technical stakeholders (on a technical knowledge scale of 1-5 you are at least a 3.5).You don’t have to be an engineer but you have to demonstrate that you can speak credibly with engineers and understand enough about the technology they are building to ask the right questions
- Excited to work in a highly entrepreneurial and ambiguous environment where you will wear multiple hats, regularly switch gears and work both independently and collaboratively at the intersection of a number of teams
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit both your cover letter and resume via our online application system. Incomplete applications will not be considered.