The Criminal Defense Practice has an immediate opening for a full-time Paralegal II to work in the Bronx trial office and as an alternate at the Vernon C. Bain Correctional Center to provide client services and outreach.
* Research, digest, and outline case records (e.g. medical, criminal history, schools, etc.)
* Interview and assess client requests for services and refer clients to outside agencies
* Prepare written reports summarizing information compiled
* Obtain and review client records and determine course of action
* Handle client and agency correspondence in connection with cases
* Assist clients in preparing legal documents, forms, and releases
* Liaise between attorneys and their clients
* Calculate jail time credits by analyzing correctional, court, and Legal Aid records; take steps to correct errors; and secure missing time due to clients
* Other duties as assigned
* Perform functions of Vernon C. Bain Correctional Center Paralegal II as needed
Bronx - Criminal Defense Practice Office
* Paralegal certificate from an ABA accredited school, Bachelor's degree in a relevant field, or satisfactory completion of a comprehensive in-house training course appropriate to practice area
* Experience in and/or commitment to advocacy on behalf of low-income people is strongly desired
* Excellent writing, verbal, organizational, and computer skills
* Proficiency in legal research
* Ability to work in a team setting as well as independently
* Ability to multi-task
* Some knowledge of New York criminal law and criminal procedures
* Proficiency in languages other than English is desirable, but not required
Only PDF documents will be accepted. If your document is not a PDF, your application will not be processed. Applications submitted without all the required materials will not be processed.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
The leadership of The Legal Aid Society is committed to a work culture of zealous advocacy, respect, diversity and inclusion, client-oriented defense, access to justice and excellent representation. We are dedicated to building a strong professional relationship with each of our clients, to understanding their diverse circumstances, and to meeting their needs. Our ability to achieve these goals depends on the efforts of all of us.
The Legal Aid Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer -- women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ communities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For technical difficulties or questions regarding this posting, please email email@example.com.
Minimum Education Required