Project Director, Play To Learn (limited term, grant funded)
Details: Depending on experience
PO Box 7158
KLRU, Austin's PBS station, seeks a Project Director to oversee implementation of Year 5 of 5 (final year) of the City of Austin-funded 10-week Play to Learn (PTL) workshop series for KLRU Educational Services throughout the year (approximately 6 series per year, 60 families served). This job includes learning the Play to Learn curriculum and delivering instruction, maintenance of supplies and materials, obtaining and scheduling off-site facilities, recruiting participants, meeting with partner agencies in the City of Austin Ready Families Collaborative, maintaining accurate financial records and workshop data, participating in KLRU Educational Services and other team meetings, and playing an active role in designing the next five-year proposal for the Ready Families Collaborative. This is a limited term, grant-funded engagement for approximately one year.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Maintaining inventory of resources at suitable levels for PTL operation
· Leading Play to Learn implementation with assistance from PTL Assistants and other KLRU Educational Services staff
· Maintaining accurate records of recruitment, enrollment, attendance, and completion of PTL participants (for KLRU records as well as Ready Families Collaborative/City of Austin reporting); submitting all data on-time to relevant partner agencies
· Communicating with KLRU partners (Ready Families Collaborative, United Way for Greater Austin (UWATX), site hosts, etc.) to coordinate site placements, data reporting and other logistics
· Maintaining strong family attendance through weekly contact with each family via phone or social media
· Encouraging parent use of social media to upload evidence of PTL activities in the home
· Modeling PTL practices during classes and actively guiding parents toward productive, fun interactions with their children
· Attending KLRU Educational Services staff meetings, KLRU all-staff meetings, Ready Families Collaborative and UWATX meetings (as appropriate)
· Maintaining accurate financial records for PTL purchases, including tracking of mileage
· Completing Touchpoints training within the year as offered by United Way for Greater Austin
· Coordinating work of part-time Play to Learn Assistant Facilitators as needed
· Abiding by standards of conduct for KLRU employees
· Submitting information for FastPass clearance to work in Texas public schools
· Other Educational Services duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills required:
· Bachelors degree required.
· Classroom teaching and/or experience working with young children (2-4 years old) and their parents
· Bilingual Spanish and English speaker, strong preference for Spanish literacy
· Moderate facility with technology - ability to use and troubleshoot office suite applications; ability to use and troubleshoot tablet-based apps; Internet navigation
· Strength in using social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.), particularly in ways that will captivate Play to Learn participants
· Awareness of the academic and societal challenges that families in poverty experience in navigating Texas preschools and elementary schools, and conscientious focus on providing support and knowhow to overcome those challenges.
· Maintenance of ongoing qualitative, quantitative, and financial records needed for reporting and disbursements
· Embracing of a "community impact" model for community engagement and joint implementation for systemic support of youth and their caregivers
· Occasional pressure due to short deadlines.
· Works closely with other employees and general public.
· Use of own auto required at times (reimbursed at current IRS mileage rate)
Group medical, dental, vision and life - employer paid for employee. Employee may elect to add dependent medical, dental, vision, and additional life, short-term or long-term disability at own cost. Paid time off benefits are also incuded.
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual Spanish and English speaker, strong preference for Spanish literacy
Minimum Education Required