Horton’s Kids is a community-based organization working to drive positive change in the lives of children and families living in the most under-resourced communities in southeast Washington, DC. With support from committed staff and volunteers, Horton’s Kids’ goal is to change the life trajectory of children by providing academic, youth development, health/basic needs, and family engagement supports. Learn more about Horton’s Kids at www.hortonskids.org.
Horton’s Kids is seeking OST Literacy Teachers to lead our high dosage tutoring program for 75 children in grades K-4. This position reports directly to the Senior Manager of Elementary Education and collaborates with all program staff. Our high dosage tutoring model will target learning loss through structured literacy interventions. High dosage tutoring requires your commitment: its efficacy is based on building positive relationships with children during the 2021-2022 school year. Each literacy intervention group will be differentiated by student ability and no larger than 4 children.
Tutoring occurs after school, Monday through Thursday, until approximately 6:30 pm at our centers in SE DC. Training in Fundations and Wilson Reading will begin in September, and our tutoring program runs from October through May. This position pays $40 an hour.
Horton’s Kids has strict COVID protocols, based on CDC and local guidance, in place to ensure the safety of all students, families, staff, and volunteers.
Core Responsibilities of this position include:
· Create, submit, and implement effective instructional lesson plans with clear learning outcomes for literacy interventions using Wilson Reading, Fundations, and Literacy Footprints curriculums
· Consistently track student data using progress-monitoring tools
· Evaluate children’s reading levels using the F&P Assessments
· Provide diverse reading experiences and opportunities for children of all abilities
· Implement appropriate accommodations and modifications to meet varying student need
· Demonstrate knowledge of trauma-informed practices
· Develop and integrate mindfulness activities throughout the tutoring session
· Prioritize students’ social and emotional learning
· Build positive relationships with students
· Track, gather and evaluate data to monitor children’s academic growth
· Collaborate with Horton’s Kids staff and volunteers
· 2+ years as an in-person classroom teacher in an elementary and/or middle school setting with a focus on literacy
· MUST have 1+ years experience using Wilson and Fundations curriculum and/or evidence-based literacy interventions
· Demonstrated experience creating literacy intervention lessons
· Knowledge of Special Education, IEP and 504 plans, and the educational landscape of DC
· Experience with administering academic assessments (F&P) and creating individualized supports based on data
· Strong PBIS-based behavior management skills
· Experience collaborating with others
· Experience working with children and families who come from systematically marginalized communities
· Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and social justice for children and families
Horton’s Kids is a community-based organization working to drive positive change in the lives of children and families living in the most under-resourced communities in southeast Washington, DC. With support from committed staff and…