Details: Salary commensurate with experience
301 Main Street
The purpose of this position is to provide educational instruction to the WIOA Youth Program* operated by St. Paul’s Community Development Corporation, which provides basic education and GED/TASC preparation to young adults (ages 16-24).
- Teaching basic skills to students with varying academic levels while integrating GED/TASC preparation skills in the subject areas of Mathematics, Reading Comprehension, Language Arts, Social Studies and Science
- Assessing individual student progress and adapting curriculum and lesson plans to the needs of the individual student
- Assessing student readiness to take the TASC exam while coordinating with test providers around testing dates and the receipt of test scores
- Keeping records in accordance with funding requirements and program needs
- Assisting with the recruitment and intake assessment of prospective students
- Attending all staff meetings and participating in program activities, as instructed and required
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BA or higher in education or related field, valid teaching certification in related subjects
- Minimum of 2 years experience in teaching basic skills and adult literacy
- Candidates familiar with TABE*, TASC* and BEST Plus 2.0* assessments will be given priority consideration
- Experience with creative and innovative curriculum planning and development for non-traditional students
- A respect for the ideals and intelligence of young adults, and a strong commitment to helping young adults succeed academically
- Strong interpersonal skills and adaptive communication skills, including the ability to collaborate with others around program issues and teach teams
- Understanding of socially relevant issues impacting at-risk young adults from low-income urban communities
- Computer literacy, including knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, internet and email communications
- A valid Driver’s License is required
*WIOA - The Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) is the federal program that funds state and local workforce initiatives and provides a variety of job training services for adults and youth. WIOA modernizes and streamlines the Workforce Investment Act of 1998.
*TABE® is the most comprehensive and reliable academic assessment product in adult basic education. Educators use TABE testing to provide a solid foundation for effectively assessing the skills and knowledge of adult learners.
*TASC - Test Assessing Secondary Completion - The New High School Equivalency Exam
*BEST Plus 2.0 - BEST Plus 2.0 is an individually administered, face-to-face oral interview designed to assess the English language proficiency of adult English language learners
- Health Insurance, (i.e., Primary Care, Dental & Vision - Employee ONLY) - Post 90-day Probationary Period
- Two-weeks Paid Vacation
- Fourteen Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave
- 403-B Pension Plan - Post-1-Year of Employment
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to the attention of Quayshaela Davis, Program Director, Next Step Workforce Development Program.