Details: $15 per hour
157 West 31st Street
This winter, New York Cares will once again harness the generosity of our city to keep our most vulnerable of residents warm through the Annual Coat Drive and proudly deliver our 2 millionth coat. For the last 30 years, we've enabled thousands of New Yorkers to perform acts of warmth – small seemingly insignificant gestures which have an enormous impact. The 30th Annual New York Cares Coat Drive kicks off on Tuesday, November 13.
The Coat Drive Warehouse team is a crucial part of making the Coat Drive happen. Last year, with the support of many generous New Yorkers, New York Cares distributed over 104,000 coats to nearly 500 nonprofit agencies in New York City, who in turn distributed them to their clients. Our 2018 goal is to distribute 130,000 coats. As part of a seasonal unit Coat Drive Associates receive, track, sort, and distribute coats onsite at the Coat Drive Warehouse in mid-town. The position requires strong organization, problem-solving, and customer service skills, as well as the ability to self-motivate and initiate. If spreading acts of warmth and meeting immediate needs is your gig, this is the position for you.
Please note: this is a seasonal position from November 2018 – February 2019
Reporting to the Coat Drive Warehouse Manager, Associates are responsible for the intake and distribution of coats through our Coat Drive Warehouse. This team is part of the Immediate Needs & Public Spaces department. The Coat Drive Warehouse hours are Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., November 8 through February 8. Please note occasional weekends, early mornings, or weekends may be required. The warehouse is closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day. As a Coat Drive Associate, you will:
- Receive and organize coats for sorting
- Keep accurate records of all coat drop-offs and coat pick-ups
- Provide excellent customer service to all Coat Drive nonprofit partners and collection teams
- Physically sort, bag and move donations
- Lead volunteer sorting groups
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment by keeping sorting area and workstations neat
We seek a motivated team player who will take ownership of the Coat Drive process and distribute coats with enthusiasm and a commitment those we serve. Successful candidates will:
- Have basic computer and phone skills including familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Google Suite
- Proactively identify potential challenges and provide meaningful solutions
- A flexible schedule, including the ability to work evenings, early mornings and occasional weekends
- AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Physical Demands and Abilities
- Regularly lift and/or move objects 10-50 lbs.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, and kneel
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Coat Drive Warehouse Associate” in the Subject line. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Minimum Education Required