1110 Vermont Avenue NW
The Fundraising Writer is a member of the Philanthropic department, working closely and in support of a variety of front-line fundraisers and stewardship staff to create fundraising proposals, impact reports on donations, gift stewardship communications and other written collateral in support of a full-scale fundraising effort for internal and external audiences. Executive-level, personal correspondence, in service of the President and CEO, and Senior VP of Philanthropy will be a central theme throughout all assignments, especially including thank you notes & similar communications.
This position will serve as the principal writer for print and electronic published projects, offering support for projects and opportunities involving individual donors, institutional foundaFuntions, capital campaign-related promotional materials, and general stewardship assignments.
Types of projects include formal proposals, letters of inquiry, content brochures/program leave behinds, invitations, acknowledgement letters and templates, web site content, and talking points.
The Fundraising Writer also will collaborate with the Communications and Marketing department to ensure consistency with theme, brand, design, content and delivery, following established NPF guidelines.
- Prepare proposals or edit and customize pre-existing proposals to prospects for major gift solicitations. Draft or edit gift agreements and other solidifying documents. Create templates for proposals and gift agreements.
- Prepare correspondence from the president, senior vice president, and other staff and volunteers to top donors and prospects.
- Together with donor relations staff, prepare stewardship reports and materials to enable donors to understand and appreciate the impact their gifts have made/are making.
- Together with marketing and communication staff, create compelling and timely content about NPF’s fundraising priorities and results for use in print, electronic, and other communication channels.
- Organize fundraising and campaign information for effective presentation in publications, web sites, and other media.
- Compile data and produce presentation decks for presentations, meetings, board reports, etc.
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Required knowledge, skills, and abilities:
The ideal candidate should have the following:
- Prior job experience with a national non-profit organization with a deep history of fundraising.
- Demonstrate outstanding writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including abilities to prepare materials for different audiences and purposes, including “ghost writing “for NPF senior leaders, staff, and volunteers.
- Exhibit best practices in proposal development, understanding branding and positioning strategies and how to use various communication channels.
- Demonstrate extremely strong proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrate ability to handle multiple projects and produce high quality results in a timely manner and to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Interact effectively with a wide variety of people, including NPF staff, donors, and others inside and outside NPF.
- Gather information by means of interviews, database research, etc.
- Have experience with relational databases, preferably The Raiser’s Edge.
- Demonstrate an affinity for the mission of the National Park Foundation.
Preferred education and experience:
- Hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- Have a minimum of three-five years of experience in writing for development/fundraising, communications, media relations, or related field.
- Knowledge of standard concepts, practices and procedures related to the position, including: expertise in use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax; understanding of branding and positioning strategies for the institution and for specific projects; ability to "ghost write" for senior officers and other Foundation leadership; ability to learn subject-specific terminology for use in developing written materials; knowledge of when and how to use various channels of communication.
NPF offers a very comprehensive benefits program including medical, dental, vision, wellness program, 403 b retirement plan with employer match, vacation, sick, personal leave along with disability and life benefits.
The National Park Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please apply through our ADP WorkForceNow site. If you experience technical difficulties during the process you may send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.