Special Assistant, Human Resources
Reports to: Vice President, Human Resources
Staff reporting to this position: None
Department: Human Resources
Position classification: Nonexempt, full time
American Progress seeks a Special Assistant for Human Resources to provide a variety of administrative tasks for the Human Resources team. The Special Assistant will assist with day-to-day operations and interact with employees regarding human resources-related activities and processes.
American Progress is looking for candidates who demonstrate attention to detail and an ability to multitask. As a member of the Human Resources team, it is critical that candidates handle confidential matters with complete discretion. Strong candidates will possess a background and interest in human resources and be a quick learner, willing to pick up new responsibilities with short notice. This position is located in downtown Washington, D.C.
- Perform administrative tasks to support the overall Human Resources team.
- Assist with coordination scheduling and other support duties for senior members of the human resources team, including assisting in the coordination and planning of meetings, drafting memos, and filing.
- Assist the Human Resources team with data entry, database management, onboarding, and other projects.
- Support management and coordinate among various teams within American Progress, including Events, Finance, and Legal.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- One to two years administrative work in an office setting is preferred.
- Strong writing skills and ability to prioritize assignments.
- Ability to work well independently or within a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask and work well under tight deadlines.
- Knowledgeable with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Strong professionalism.
- An interest in human resources and a commitment to the organization’s progressive mission, values, and ideals.
American Progress operates two separate nonprofit organizations to maximize the progressive agenda: the Center for American Progress and the Center for American Progress Action Fund. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “American Progress.” The Center for American Progress is a nonpartisan 501(c)(3) tax-exempt research and educational institute. It undertakes research, public education and a limited amount of lobbying. The Center for American Progress Action Fund is a nonpartisan 501(c)(4) tax-exempt organization dedicated to achieving progress through action. It works to transform progressive ideas into policy through rapid-response communications, legislative action, grassroots organizing, political advocacy, and partnerships with other progressive leaders. The organizations share office space and employees.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org. For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaction.org.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please combine your cover letter and resume/CV into one Word or PDF file, upload the file, and complete the application through the link below.
This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls, please.
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.