Details: Target salary for this position depends on experience and qualifications.
A senior member of the American Atheists staff, the Communications Director develops and implements communications strategies to highlight the work of American Atheists and its positions on matters of public concern. This staff person creates and distributes media content, develops communications strategy, provides communications support for American Atheists leadership, and enhances American Atheists social media and digital presence. The Communications Director serves as the primary on-the-record source and spokesperson for American Atheists.
- Develop and implement a communications strategy for American Atheists and its affiliates and partners to influence and shape the conversation around religious freedom issues on both national and local levels;
- Develop and draft press releases, statements, op-eds, social media content, and other informational materials to promote the work of American Atheists;
- Manage all press inquiries and media contacts;
- Design, create, and implement consistent branding and voice for online publications, social media graphics, print publications, and other communications platforms;
- Develop and lead online video, podcast, and other new media projects to expand the impact and reach of American Atheists’ educational content;
- Assist other organizational leaders with the development of American Atheists public education and communications materials – including overseeing content development for and providing ongoing management of American Atheists’ website and social media platforms;
- Research and secure potential speaking opportunities and media placements for American Atheists and its affiliates and partners, and for American Atheists events and public activities;
- Develop and enhance American Atheists “library” of public education materials to provide relevant information and resources to share with elected officials and their staff, the media, coalition partners, donors, volunteers, and the general public to ensure that American Atheists is viewed as a primary source, disseminator, and conduit of information within the atheist community; and,
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic publications including, but not limited to, a bi-monthly membership newsletter/magazine, informational brochures and pamphlets, and other similar products.
- An undergraduate degree or equivalent experience, plus four to six years of related experience;
- Significant experience building and maintaining a network of media contacts and managing press relations;
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, to articulate the priorities and mission of American Atheists;
- Superb attention to detail and ability to meet regular deadlines;
- Experience as a primary on-the-record spokesperson;
- A demonstrated commitment to the atheist community;
- The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channel(s);
- Experience with Meltwater or other media contact services; and,
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives.
American Atheists offers a generous benefits package, including paid sick, holiday, and vacation leave; 401(k) with employer match; comprehensive health and dental insurance; paid parental leave; and flexible scheduling and telecommute opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. This position can be based in our Cranford, NJ headquarters or in our Washington, DC policy and legal office.
American Atheists is committed to building a team that fully represent the community we serve. We recruit, employ, compensate, and promote candidates without regard for age, race, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political affiliations, past or present military service, marital status, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, or on the basis of personal favoritism or other non-merit factors. We believe that diversity, inclusion, and equity among our team is crucial to succeed as a voice for underrepresented and marginalized people.